cat won't eat...stress?

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
We have a male cat who is 1.5 (one and a half) years old. We've had him since he was a kitten. He grew up around our much older male cat, who is about 12 years old now. They get along well and always have, and play together. Yesterday, i received a gift of a female kitten for my birthday. She is only about 6 weeks old She is very active and unusually bold. Murphy, our young cat, was at first very afraid of her, then later curious. When she arrived yesterday, the cats all had limited exposure to each other. Murphy had no problem eating his dinner, and had a couple of treats too. We made a big fuss over both of our older cats all afternoon. Today, Murphy acts like he wants to eat, but can't. I know he is still stressed by the kitten, because he was outside and was reluctant to come in, but when she is inside, he is very interested in her and has tried to eat with her. She hissed at him when he tried to eat with her. We've tempted him with canned food and treats, and feeding him alone in another room,, but no dice. i know this is a serious problem. We confined the kitten in an unused room all night last night, and will for a few hours this afternoon too so our older cats can get a break, and again overnight, but I'm beginning to wonder if there could be something else wrong. Our other cat has no problem eating, and he just ignores the kitten as much as possible. He's been experienced with other kittens too over his years though, so he's used to them. Could this possibly be just due to stress? I'm reluctant to take him to the vet, because it will cause even more stress. And I really want to keep the kitten, so it's a problem. Thoughts?

Is he doing other things normally or not (drinking, urinating, defecating)? Definitely keep a close eye on him. Especially if he's urinating. You want to make sure that is happening because if not, if he's unable, this can be a life threatening situation. From what you describe he doesn't seem to be that bothered by the new kitten, so I would be very vigilant with him. Good luck!

It seems like he should be eating, regardless. Your new kitten should have kitten food by herself, and Murphy should be eating his own food by himself without being distracted/ harassed by the baby.
Something might really be wrong with him.
Mary
Our cats each have their own room to eat in and it has always been that way. Plus, the adult cats get a break from the kitten at night because she is confined to a separate room. We do this to give them a break and also to make sure she doesn't get into trouble while we're sleeping. The weird thing is, although he sometimes acts like he wants nothing to do with the kitten, other times he will play with her. He is still barely eating..a couple of licks...even with premium catfood and broth.. I learned that his sister, who is owned by someone else, also did this when new kittens were introduced..she quit eating and sulked. But only for a couple days. I'm trying to reach the vet, haven't been able to since yesterday.

Is he doing other things normally or not (drinking, urinating, defecating)? Definitely keep a close eye on him. Especially if he's urinating. You want to make sure that is happening because if not, if he's unable, this can be a life threatening situation. From what you describe he doesn't seem to be that bothered by the new kitten, so I would be very vigilant with him. Good luck!
Thank you. The only thing he does that's normal is he sometimes plays with me, and also sometimes plays with the kitten! Other times he acts like he detests her, but he never is aggressive or mean to her. I'm trying to get him a vet appt.

Cats hide illness well, then they go downhill very quickly. My avatar is my cat Baby, he passed away 2 1/2 years ago. He was fine one day and then he suddenly stopped eating and within a few days (start of a long holiday weekend), he was very sick and had to spend 36 hours at the Pet ER! He never did get better, his kidneys failed and was on lots of supportive medications to get him eating. If they stop eating, they develop Fatty Liver very fast. He went from 22 pounds down to less than 4 pounds in a matter of 4 weeks before I had to make the decision to let him go and be out of pain. I miss his fluffy butt. At 12 years old, he never lost his soft kitten fur.

I would take him straight to the vet. Cats metabolism is different from dogs so they will go downhill much faster without food. He could be sick or he could have a intestinal blockage from a hairball or eating something he isn’t supposed to. Either way not eating for more than 24 hours is usually a sign of serious illness.
Hes already been to the vet..last week. It was stress and that's all. He got some fluids and an appetite stimulant. He still didn't eat for another day after that but ok now

I have trapped several cats for sterilization and been a complete foster failure (they all end up living with me or family).
I have had more than one cat refuse to eat for 2 or 3 days. They started eating again once their stress levels dropped. It's serious for cats to go without food so long but I kept placing fresh raw mince and a wet food alternative near them... possibly they picked at it a little but I saw the kitty litter box unused for 48+ hours. It worried me terribly.

Today those cats are a little bit chubby and extremely energetic and healthy.

Not all cats cope well with changes. I have 2 that took more than 6 months to integrate. I'm also very reluctant to stress them with a vet trip. It seems your cats can go outdoors -it's possible he'll catch a bird or mouse and pick at that but is not yet comfortable eating with a "foreigner". Feeding separately and allowing time without the "foreigner" for a few days or a couple of weeks may be best for all in the long run.

I have trapped several cats for sterilization and been a complete foster failure (they all end up living with me or family).
I have had more than one cat refuse to eat for 2 or 3 days. They started eating again once their stress levels dropped. It's serious for cats to go without food so long but I kept placing fresh raw mince and a wet food alternative near them... possibly they picked at it a little but I saw the kitty litter box unused for 48+ hours. It worried me terribly.

Today those cats are a little bit chubby and extremely energetic and healthy.

Not all cats cope well with changes. I have 2 that took more than 6 months to integrate. I'm also very reluctant to stress them with a vet trip. It seems your cats can go outdoors -it's possible he'll catch a bird or mouse and pick at that but is not yet comfortable eating with a "foreigner". Feeding separately and allowing time without the "foreigner" for a few days or a couple of weeks may be best for all in the long run.
We’ve had the same problem with a few fosters. One ended up spending 4 days at the vet on fluids and we nearly lost him.

Back
Top Bottom