Cats & chickens

cocianna

Chirping
15 Years
Sep 4, 2007
I have 6 year old hens. They free range in my horse barn & indoor arena during the day & are shut in their coop (a stall that is chicken safe) at night. I haven't had any cats since I got the girls, but would now like to have several "barn" cats. My question is, will the cats hurt or hunt the chickens? There would be no way to separtate them during the day. The cats of course will have free choice food, but that doesn't stop them from hunting. Any views are aprecaiated. Thanks, Coco

bump -
smile.png

Some cats are he-man enough to attack a full grown hen, but not many, unless these are banties. Younger chickens or chicks, definitely, if given the chance. I would get a cat, see how he does. Chances are he will be more frightened of your hens than they are of him!
big_smile.png

Unless their bantams their fine, My neighbor's cat got my first 2 cochin bantams and I use a airsoft gun on 'em doesn't kill just hurts and scares 'em. Its hylerious seeing them when they get hit they have no idea where its comin' from and their back hair raises when they realize its not stopping they make a dash for it.

I've seen cats (just like skunks) push themselves up under broody hens (usually at night) and break and suck/lick out the eggs. I've also seen them kill and eat baby chicks.

I think it depends on the cat. My cats are fine with any small animals- we've had rats, gerbils, ferrets, rabbits... They are all indoor cats, though, so only one (my houdini) has met the chickens. He loves laying outside their coop/yard (he could easily gain access if he wanted to) and watching them. He's never bothered them.

My cats all get along with the Rooster, I have never let them be too close to the 11 week old chicks though. Anytime the cats act like they are stalking I shoo them and they run away.

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

We have free range chickens and 4 cats - they all get along fine. (I wait until chickens are full-size so they can defend themselves before introducing them.) Three were raised by us as kitties and so got used to chickens at an early age. I don't know if you might want to consider starting with a kitten or two. Even our chicken-hearted 4th cat leaves them alone. I think the kitties used to try to ambush the hens for entertainment, but it backfired and now the chickens chase them away at will.

We originally got the kitties for rodent control around the coop and it works out well. This is our experience.

This chicken is waaay more of a menace to my cats than vice versa. The chook, Gwen, has been challenging Mira (kitty) ever since hitting puberty. The cat has finally started swatting Gwen to teach her to leave well enough alone.
Sneakychook.jpg

Back
Top Bottom