Caught a domesticated ferret killing

This fer3t thing is dreadful. Those people owe you new chickens and to pay for any other damage. Years ago a dog got into my goat pen and killed a kid and a couple of ducks and injured an adult. THey paid the bills and got rid of the dog. This is what needs to happen. IF this ferret has gotten out twice, animal control needs to know about it and they owe you money.

This fer3t thing is dreadful. Those people owe you new chickens and to pay for any other damage. Years ago a dog got into my goat pen and killed a kid and a couple of ducks and injured an adult. THey paid the bills and got rid of the dog. This is what needs to happen. IF this ferret has gotten out twice, animal control needs to know about it and they owe you money.
I hadn't thought about dogs and chickens when reading original post. Was thinking more of predators but yeah if it's domesticated it falls under the same heading as a dog killing livestock. I had a German Shepherd get into my chickens some years ago with the same result that you had. The owners did not repay me for damages but the cops came and had a very long chat with them about leash laws and how they were liable for damages. The dog did not come to my house again.

So I did get money from them. It won't bring my sweet chickens back, but hopefully make them think about ramifications. Begged them to get an appropriate cage and to 'Do Better'. Next time I catch it or hear about it escaping, Animal Control and a Police Report (if it makes it to my yard)

My husband spent 12 hours today making the run ferret proof. And honestly I don't even think a field mouse could get in now.

I am still sad, especially when we found feathers as we worked, but we have 2 young girls in the run with our survivor bantam, and 2 babies in the basement. The cameras are installed and I will hope the neighbors learned their lesson... but knowing their yappy dog is not well trained (has almost bit my nice neighbor many times on her jogs) I am not holding my breath.

My local chicken chatter forum was nasty to me when. I said it was a ferret, and you all have been sympathetic and helpful. I am grateful to everyone who has commented.

My 13year old with one of the new girls
20200703_100217.jpg 20200703_135129.jpg Rest in Peace sweeties 20200629_150818.jpg

Glad to hear you got compensation. It's not enough to make up for your losses, but it's something, and it lets your neighbors know they are being held accountable. Hopefully they will take responsibility, one way or another, to be sure the ferret does not get out again. Also glad you have reinforced your fortress. All the best to you going forward!

Maybe someon decided they didn't want it anymore and let it go. You never know. We are rural on a dead end road and have been the recipients of other people relocations.
That was my first guess.
I found the owner. This is the second time the ferret has escaped in the past month. They keep it in the garage in a plastic bottom cage... I should have called animal control. Apparently it likes to kill their pet mice which is why it lives in the garage.
Well, yes. Weasely type animals kill mice. It's what they do.
I want to say thank you. Posted this on my local chicken chatter and I was attacked and told I killed my chick

honestly they were so nonchalant about it I was horrified. I asked the 11 year old that came to get the ferret how he'd feel if I wasn't able to catch the ferret before my dog did. He shrugged. And then I dealt with a lot of people on Facebook blaming me because a domesticated ferret wouldn't kill 6 juvenile pullets in 90 minutes. (guess what, it definitely can happen) So I appreciate you folks for being kind. We are heartsick over here. Hubby is going over every inch of the run tomorrow.

Getting a backyard camera Friday because I know it will be back and I want proof. The cage it is in is appropriate for a rabbit, NOT a ferret.
Clearly the people on FB don't know what they're talking aboout. Ferrets are in the weasel family, and all members of that family are voracious killers. You might want to find other FB people to talk chickens with, or maybe just come here instead.
I won't lie, I almost killed the thing with my bare hands. But I swear if it gets in my yard again I will let my dog rip it to shreds. And I know it will be back because irresponsible pet owners suck.
It would have been a dead ferret if it were here. I wouldn't have had a chance at it, though. My dog is great varmint control. And yes - he is up on all his shots.

If the ferret comes back, eliminate it. I know to many that sounds horrible but even though the owners gave you some compensation (like a pay-off) for the birds you lost, they don't really seem to care about the ferret.. Glad you put some cameras up. I love my cameras. Good luck...

If the ferret comes back, eliminate it. I know to many that sounds horrible but even though the owners gave you some compensation (like a pay-off) for the birds you lost, they don't really seem to care about the ferret.. Glad you put some cameras up. I love my cameras. Good luck...
Wish I could get some cameras installed around my coop. Been trying to put together the cash since last winter, but with 4 1/2 months of off time during lock down, the bank account is very anemic right now.

Back
Top Bottom