Caught him in trap - first try!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by itsy, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    A couple weeks ago "an animal" attacked my chicken. I have one new hen in the front who is in quarantine. The "animal" tried very hard to get into her cage setup. It almost made it. There were feathers EVERYWHERE! We have noticed that her uneaten chicken food is no longer there in the am. SO... I set this trap up last night (and partially got stuck when I was putting the "bait" in) lol. My BF had to come save me.

Anyhow - The bait consisted of: Three small slices of watermelon, a smear of peanut butter and a sprinkling of chicken crumbles. And in the morning:

[​IMG]

We actually checked the trap around midnight and a critter had pulled some of the food out through the side. DOH! We thought it was smarter than us and wasn't going to get caught. Well it did! The odd thing: The food was on a paper plate. When we checked on the trap - the paper plate was gone. There was just a very small tear from it remaining. It ate the plate, too??? It didn't eat the melon rinds. I guess the plate was tastier? Odd.

2. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    he/she had a partner.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Good job! Shoot it and get the other one.

4. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    We aren't allowed to kill them here, to my knowledge.... or I can kill them but I can't shoot them? I'm going to be calling my Dept of Health and Dept of Agriculture soon to talk about getting a permit to sell my eggs, so I'm going to ask about killing these guys too. I've read so much online - it's just confusing to me.

Either way - I don't know if I could kill it. The dang thing was so cute - and much smaller than the last one we caught. I thought it was a youngster, but it almost looked like she/he had nipples like it was a nursing mom? I dunno - I'm no expert!

We drove about six miles away and released it in a forested park. I don't know if we're allowed to do that, either! I hope 6 miles was far enough away.

5. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Quote:I could never kill it either [​IMG]

but yikes I hope six miles is enough [​IMG]

6. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Glad you got the critter, and he's gone. But there will be more.

One thing you said puzzled me - are you going to ask for a PERMIT to sell eggs? Why, do you have a huge egg production business? If you just have a few dozen free-range eggs, do you want the Govt. coming to your house to assess your backyard farm? Just asking - I wouldn't do it. Sounds like borrowing trouble! I sell mine to friends and family, and they're more than happy to get them at $3 doz.

7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Well I can kill it. We just 'dispatched' the fourth racoon.

It ate two of my juvies and pulled the leg and thigh off the third and we had to put her down. The first one was cute but it ate most of Big Momma my beautiful black Cochin hen. The next one could not get Ethel, my BR hen out of the coop so pulled her head off.

I have no problem shooting one anymore!!

And six miles away.....not sure that is far enough. Better keep the traps baited and set they will be back and there are more where that one came from!!

I really dislike racoons intensely.

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:all 6 miles did was make it someone else s problem for a few days... it will be back!

9. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    hopefully boyd doesnt find this post lol hes not a big rehoming fan. i think it will be back 6 miles isnt very far. glad you caught one though

10. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Nana - At some point I'd also like to sell my chicken meat as well. I'd also like to sell my quail meat and quail eggs. We live on a horse farm that I'm trying to turn into a farm for other uses. We've got a bit of unused land - so I'd like to know what the rules are before I start breaking them. [​IMG]

I know the theory on rehoming them is someone elses problem - but what am I supposed to do if I'm not "allowed" to kill them here? Kill them quietly? I didn't release it in a populated area.

Either way, if six miles isn't far enough - I'll have to figure something else out. I'll call animal control and ask what they'd "like" me to do if I catch any more. Maybe they take them and euth them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by