Cause of sudden onset bright green poop, slightly decreased appetite? (1 yo Polish hen)

Yes, starting with a couple of doses of coconut oil would be what I would suggest. Two teaspoons per dose, then massage the oil into the crop, trying to use your fingers to break up the solid lump.

If coconut oil fails, then you can try a flush, beginning with a mild molasses flush and if that doesn't work, doing a three-day Epsom salt flush. These flushes are really the only thing to try if you suspect an impacted gizzard.

Yes, starting with a couple of doses of coconut oil would be what I would suggest. Two teaspoons per dose, then massage the oil into the crop, trying to use your fingers to break up the solid lump.

If coconut oil fails, then you can try a flush, beginning with a mild molasses flush and if that doesn't work, doing a three-day Epsom salt flush. These flushes are really the only thing to try if you suspect an impacted gizzard.
so it may be headed in the sour direction since it’s “squishy” and gurgling noises are present? But no smell. He’s also seemingly more interested in water than food. I did coconut oil and massaged about 2-3 times. Definitely emptied some, but not completely. I can still feel feed in there and “mush”. Feels better than it did but Im going to check him first thing in the morning and likely isolate him from food and start with the Epsom salt flush since that is what I have on hand. He is usually a very good patient so hoping this works. This guy has been through so much in his short 3 years. From injuries to mites, now this. I feel so bad I haven’t figured this out sooner 🥲

One of the most common symptoms of impacted crop is the chicken being obsessed with drinking. I treat for impaction first, get it broken up and most of the lumps evacuated from the crop, then I tackle the yeast component with miconazole twice a day for a full seven days.

One of the most common symptoms of impacted crop is the chicken being obsessed with drinking. I treat for impaction first, get it broken up and most of the lumps evacuated from the crop, then I tackle the yeast component with miconazole twice a day for a full seven days.

This morning his crop felt much better. No more mushy lumps, hard lumps, gurgling noises, etc. it was flat and soft if that makes sense. But not distended. His energy is better overall. Hoping that if there is still something going on the flushes that you mentioned will clear it up. 🤞🏻

It sounds like he's recovering nicely, and the flush may not be needed. Continue what you're doing, and give the crop time to get clear. Give him time. But if you want to try a simple flush, it's easy. Mix one teaspoon of molasses into one-fourth cup warm water and let him drink it all. Remove his plain water until he finishes it. This will stimulate his intestines by pulling water into them and getting things moving through.

Is he eating?
Yes. Not a whole lot but I did get him to eat some scrambled egg and watered down feed. He is also still interested in foraging. His crop was flat again this morning. I gave him some more scrambled eggs, feed, and he went after a few seeds from their other feed mixture. So far this morning his energy seems fine but his poops are more watery with white than anything and very small…. Which is different than yesterday. I just don’t know what to think is causing this. Held off on doing the flush thinking I didn’t need it since his crop seems to be emptying/empty but idk 😓

Did you mix one teaspoon of molasses in one-fourth cup warm water? Give it to him as his only water source until he drinks all of it. Dip his beak in it to show him it's sweet, and he'll then drink it all.

Back
Top Bottom