Cause of sudden onset bright green poop, slightly decreased appetite? (1 yo Polish hen)

Yes I did. I have it as his only water source. I will try to dip his beak. He’s a little slow to figure things out on his own most of the time. Lol.

Did you mix one teaspoon of molasses in one-fourth cup warm water? Give it to him as his only water source until he drinks all of it. Dip his beak in it to show him it's sweet, and he'll then drink it all.
The flush didn’t seem to make that big of a difference. He’s about the same overall. Seemed to be more interested in eating but no change in the poop situation. I am hoping whatever it is will clear up on its own since he’s not really getting worse. Only other thing I could try is tx for sour crop just to see if that changes anything.

Is his crop full and squishy? If so, yes, treat for sour crop with miconazole twice a day for seven days.
Update- no changes. His behavior is about the same, maybe better at times. Poop is still green. Appetite and water intake are good. Comb color is good. Started singing his morning praises again and is mating just fine. Maybe this is a liver or kidney thing and will be his new normal?

Felt like I should update and mention Ella passed away sometime last night. I can't believe she's gone. My first chicken lost and she was very special to me. I couldn't put her in with the others so she got special treatment. I spent a lot of one-on-one time with her. I'd let her our in the morning and call her in before it got dark to put her away; she came to her name like a little dog. Wherever I was at, she'd try to find me. I even got a little flock of Crevecoeurs chicks just for her and have been slowly working on them all getting along. Now she's gone. She looks like she died in her sleep, in a sense. Showed no extra symptoms prior. Sometimes she'd roost sleeping, sometimes she'd lay in the straw. Looks like she went to sleep in the straw, head tucked. I went to greet her good morning and let her out to forage. I had no idea anything was wrong. RIP Ella. I'm so sorry if I failed you.

Sorry to you all that I didn't get a necropsy done so I can't provide any more details for the initial thread topic. I didn't have room in my fridge for her to keep her until I found a place, I'm shaken, and too broken to cut her open myself. It took everything i had to bury her under a little tree I bought just for her. I feel like it's my fault but I can't think of anything logical that caused this. I just know, after that weirdness in February with her loss of appetite and green poops, that she's been having strange episodes. Maybe 2-3 nights a month she'd poop green all night. Maybe 1 or 2 mornings a month she'd seemingly have little appetite. But besides that, I can't think of anything.

Thank you all for the help and I wish everyone reading good health for their chickens. ♥

I'm so sorry. It's not your fault. There was probably something going on that you couldn't have known about or done anything about, such as a cancer in the reproductive tract or internal laying.

Now you have new chicks to raise and name and spoil. Try not to blame yourself.

Back
Top Bottom