Cayenne pepper powder to cure worms - how hot????

Quote:
About the only way to know is to get the poop sampled by a vets office.

Hi All,
I recall reading a pigeon thread a couple of years ago by a fellow who examined his birds poop using a microscope. He had a tape/dvd which showed him what to look for. He used it to prevent over medicating his flock and his microscope was described as average use type.
Has anyone tried this method?
Joe

Certainly anyone that took it on could learn what would be needed to know to identify different worms. But I would bet there would be a lot to learn in order to determine which were which, what eggs looked like, and what levels would be normalish vs problematic.

Might be some equipment involved in preping the samples on slides, possible dies or other steps required to be able to see the worms/eggs ect.

Quote:
I agree.
I gave them Wazine 17 on November 16 [two ounces in two gallons of water for one day (one ounce in two gallons for the silkies and chicks)]. I began that day to throwing all their eggs away.
On November 26, using a 1 ml oral syringe, I will give all my Orpingtons 1/2 ml of Valbazen and all my silkies 1/4 ml of Valbazen. Then I will throw away all their eggs for two more weeks.

ETA BTW, Valbazen will kill roundworms too, along with all other types of worms, so after having treated them ONE time with Wazine you never have to use anything again except Valbazen.

I see what you`re saying, Joe, but my point is, aren`t you gonna treat with Valbazen to get the hatchlings, other than roundworms?......Pop

Yes, doing the two consecutive wormings will get any remaining hatchlings of roundworms with Valbazen. Some people retreat six months later although Valbazen continues killing for several days. I think that from now on I will only treat one time in November; that's when they're molting and not laying many eggs to throw away. I probably won't start them on 14 hours of light until around Christmas or New Years. That way they'll be getting a well-deserved break from laying.

Last edited:
How do u know to take sample to vet.... decrease in egg production or just routinely? I thought the chickens also started acting lethargic. Other than seeing them in the poop of course.

Quote:
Personally, if my rooster had not been at the vet's for a week and she gave him a fecal test, I would not have suspected they had worms.
If chickens scratch in dirt during the day, then they probably have worms. Now, I'd just buy the medicine and treat them; that'd be cheaper than going to vet for ($?) AND buying the Valbazen for $36.

For those who like to keep things natural, there is a herbal wormer that is called Kroeger Herbs Wormwood Combination , you can order from IHERB and VITACOST, it is effective and you can put it in oatmeal, rice or eggs, whatever your birds seem to love. It is a treatment and preventative. I have used it with great success with dogs, also.

Candace

Quote:
Natural wormers may or may not work in chickens...it's like russian roulette, if you're not knowledgable in dosages and effects/ingredients and sales pitches....you could end up harming/killing your chickens. I use what works with proper dosages without guesswork. Alot of chemical wormers are derived from natural poisons to begin with, but have been refined and tested for proper dosing for the particular animal being wormed. It' a persons choice what they want to use. I wont gamble and I'll use what's best for their health, safety and welfare.

Last edited:
Let me try to understand something here... So how many people actually take a fecal sample to the vets office? I've never heard of that before. So out of a flock of say, 15, do you just bring in random samples. Or if one has worms, they all do? Not that I'm going to start bringing in samples. Just wondering.
Ok, one more thing I'm wondering about. My dog once in a while likes to "sample" some droppings in the yard. Would putting pepper in the feed make the poop hot? Might be a good way to teach the dog a lesson. Not that anyone would know from experience, but just what do you all think??
tongue.png

Quote:
Honestly swimmer, I've only taken 2 samples at different times to my vet. Once earlier this year and one last month, only because I didnt know what I was dealing with. The one earlier this year was a confirmation of what I suspected....tapeworms. Last month I thought I was dealing with blackhead or coccidia and the proper meds wernt working for either. I had the vet send the sample to the University of Georgia only after the sample had only shown 3-5 cocci on the slide...not enough to make a chicken sick; turned out to be E Coli. This time it paid off...lesson learned for me. You have a small flock like I do and you know how your chickens act, behave and react to certain things...you can tell if something is wrong and most likely you have a good idea what it is and you treat it accordingly with the help from others here in this forum. No, I dont routinely take samples, nor samples from all my chickens to the vet. I cant afford it. As far as your dog, I'd put cayenne pepper on the samples already on the ground, it would be more effective heheheh. Good luck.

I can do my own fecal flotations, I have tested and shown positive and treated herbally and retreated later and the next sample come out clear. To each there own, I was not telling anyone to go herbal but there are some that prefer to do so, just giving my 2 cents.

Candace

Back
Top Bottom