Cayuga duck Breeding HELP!

Rakee

Hatching
Dec 19, 2020
Hi we bought some Cayuga eggs last season to Incubate we got the eggs from 2 different places, no problem with hatching etc,

We have 3 Drake's and 3 Females, now we want to be able to get as much fertile eggs as possible for Incubating next year how do we go about this? Do we need to take 2 Drake's out? Until breeding seasons over?

They also haven't started laying any eggs yet (ir would be ideal if I could somehow get 1 or all of the females to sit on the eggs as the incubator I have isn't massive but having then sit on them will help alot aswell

Any help would be much appreciated
Thank you

Duckbreeder2020

Crossing the Road
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey
I’ve been waiting to answer a thread like this first so I hope no one answers first before I finish this:
You have a un even ratio so you really shouldn’t keep the other 2 drakes with your duck hens at all. Ducks can breed year round and the males will over breed and kill. And drake ducks will kill ducklings a lot of times or annoy the eggs when the ducks are sitting on them

Rakee

Hatching
Dec 19, 2020
I hope you the best of luck. I’m currently getting ready for breeding! I have 6 female ducks and 7 drakes and I separated the drakes
Thank you, so having 6 female ducks, how many Drake's to females have you got? And I'm Just thinking with the other 2 Drake's should I keep them separate Incase I want to breed them the following year? Also how should I choose an drake to put with the females?
I've got 1 Drake that's always been very dominant and even from being an duckling he's always acted like the "Leader" but isn't vicious in any-way, he's also big in size and shows the Cayuga breed very well,
The other two don't stand out as much and don't look as *Smart as the other one?

Thank you

Duckbreeder2020

Crossing the Road
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey
Thank you, so having 6 female ducks, how many Drake's to females have you got? And I'm Just thinking with the other 2 Drake's should I keep them separate Incase I want to breed them the following year? Also how should I choose an drake to put with the females?
I've got 1 Drake that's always been very dominant and even from being an duckling he's always acted like the "Leader" but isn't vicious in any-way, he's also big in size and shows the Cayuga breed very well,
The other two don't stand out as much and don't look as *Smart as the other one?

Thank you
Use the leader to stay with your girls, permanently remove the other drakes, but every year or two use a different drake and swap them out. What I’m planning to do is keep my females in with the chickens and the drakes in a separate thing. When the ducks are breeding I will put a fence inside the run with a dog house inside and then let them breed so they and see the other ducks they just can be with them. Then I remove the male and breed him with whatever how many females I want.

Top Bottom