Cayuga duck Breeding HELP!

Rakee

Hatching
Dec 19, 2020
Hi we bought some Cayuga eggs last season to Incubate we got the eggs from 2 different places, no problem with hatching etc,

We have 3 Drake's and 3 Females, now we want to be able to get as much fertile eggs as possible for Incubating next year how do we go about this? Do we need to take 2 Drake's out? Until breeding seasons over?

They also haven't started laying any eggs yet (ir would be ideal if I could somehow get 1 or all of the females to sit on the eggs as the incubator I have isn't massive but having then sit on them will help alot aswell

Any help would be much appreciated
Thank you

I’ve been waiting to answer a thread like this first so I hope no one answers first before I finish this:
You have a un even ratio so you really shouldn’t keep the other 2 drakes with your duck hens at all. Ducks can breed year round and the males will over breed and kill. And drake ducks will kill ducklings a lot of times or annoy the eggs when the ducks are sitting on them

I hope you the best of luck. I’m currently getting ready for breeding! I have 6 female ducks and 7 drakes and I separated the drakes
Thank you, so having 6 female ducks, how many Drake's to females have you got? And I'm Just thinking with the other 2 Drake's should I keep them separate Incase I want to breed them the following year? Also how should I choose an drake to put with the females?
I've got 1 Drake that's always been very dominant and even from being an duckling he's always acted like the "Leader" but isn't vicious in any-way, he's also big in size and shows the Cayuga breed very well,
The other two don't stand out as much and don't look as *Smart as the other one?

Thank you

Thank you, so having 6 female ducks, how many Drake's to females have you got? And I'm Just thinking with the other 2 Drake's should I keep them separate Incase I want to breed them the following year? Also how should I choose an drake to put with the females?
I've got 1 Drake that's always been very dominant and even from being an duckling he's always acted like the "Leader" but isn't vicious in any-way, he's also big in size and shows the Cayuga breed very well,
The other two don't stand out as much and don't look as *Smart as the other one?

Thank you
Use the leader to stay with your girls, permanently remove the other drakes, but every year or two use a different drake and swap them out. What I’m planning to do is keep my females in with the chickens and the drakes in a separate thing. When the ducks are breeding I will put a fence inside the run with a dog house inside and then let them breed so they and see the other ducks they just can be with them. Then I remove the male and breed him with whatever how many females I want.

Back
Top Bottom