Cedar Creek Chooks

MTKitty

Crowing
Aug 14, 2021
MT
Another obstacle in their young lives firmly in the “adapt and overcome” category. First snow of the season was two days of being cooped-up (pun intended). In spite of open doors, everyone was quite content to wait until the storm ended and CareMonkey made the cold white stuff go away.

From my perspective, I shoveled their favorite loafing areas down to a few dirt spots and let today’s sun do its thing. It is a muddy mess, but our summer was so dry the moisture won’t be around long.

My little fiends enjoyed some fresh air and pecking at my boots with every visit.

0E32CD65-8083-4C4F-90BB-E0556B9FCD92.jpeg

This morning, I relaxed by watching my chicken yard out my window. In spite of today’s wind (23 mph, according to weather app), two featherheads came out to browse the fence-line. I was pleased to see one was my big boy and he was less intent on grazing than on being watchful. Pretty soon, a few others joined them from the coop.

The rooster is taking his duties seriously, it seems. That makes me happy. He isn’t cuddly - none of these guys are pets and none have official names. He doesn’t care for being touched. None of them do, really, but the girls will stand for a few seconds of chest skritches or back touches.

The boy darts away from my hand like he thinks he’s next on the menu. But he will walk up to me. He will eat when I’m near, as long as I keep my hands to myself. When outside, he’s always looking around. And up.

My hope, as he matures, is that he will be the ideal rooster. What is ideal? Flock guardian, hen watcher, chick protector, and human accepting.

I don’t need his love or affection (save it for the Ladies), but mutual respect will keep him in my good graces for a long time.

We successfully navigated yet another first, this morning.

After most of the chores were done, I was piddling around outside the coop when I hear this gawd-awful sound like someone is being strangled and trying to scream at the same time. Twice. A couple of pullets come charging out the access door. Everyone else heads for the sumac and sage to hide. Holy - … yikes! Someone’s seriously hurt by something I missed in “chicken-proofing” the coop’s interior. Or something slipped in during the few seconds since I stepped outside and is slaughtering everybody still in there. Or it’s a civil war and half the chickens are trying to kill the other half.

I hustle around the corner of the coop - no mean feat since I haven’t had coffee yet - and pop my head in the door. My biggest boy is standing at the opposite end of the coop with his neck stretched and arched up. His first attempt at a crow!

Okay, it was actually pretty pathetic. He seemed as surprised by it as the rest of us. But he has discovered another boy-thing besides dealing with lippy girls.

I told him how incredibly cool he was and how he sounded like a big, tough roo and, for sure, no one will ever want to mess with him.

He eyeballed me as if to say, “Did you hear that? What happened? Was that really me? Is that what I’m supposed to sound like?”

Weird bird.

From early observations, it looks like my 2:15 ratio is now 3:14. But two of the rooster-y looking half-growns don’t act overtly male. I’m pretty sure one of those is roo. The other, I hope is just a hen with a bit larger comb than the other girls.

The 98% sure male has blue-green tail feathers, a larger comb, and the watchful behavior I expect. The 70% sure male has a hint of color in his tail and a slighter larger comb than the females. The 50% bird only has a comb that’s a bit larger.

The next few weeks should reveal all.

This morning, I removed the gravity waterer from the coop. Overnight low was 30*. Water in the bell was fine, but the trough was frozen.

The water bucket in the corner was fine. Not even a skin of ice at the edges. Looks like winter water will come from buckets.

Back
Top Bottom