Cellulose Fiber Insulation as Brooder Bedding

foolishcop

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 27, 2015
First-time chick-raiser here. My day-old chicks will be arriving in about 2 weeks and I'm putting together my brooder. I've been reading on the many options available for bedding for the chicks and I was wondering if anyone has used cellulose fiber insulation?

This is NOT like the fiberglass batts, but rather is essentially dried out wood pulp. It's very light and fluffy and is what's used for blown-in insulation in walls and attics. According to the manufacturer (I have 2 bales laying around and a little goes a loooong way), the insulation consists of up to 85% post-consumer paper fiber, so it's largely a recycled material.

My one concern is that they say it also contains "additives for fire resistance," and some has been treated with boric acid to protect against pest infestation and moisture. A check of the product's MSDS says it is treated with ammonium sulfate (not more than 11%) and distillate mineral oil (not more than 2%).

While that sounds "bad," I checked the MSDS for newsprint, which a lot of people seem to use, and the inks contain ethyl alcohol, propyl alcohol, and ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, so the insulation sounds a heckuva lot better. :)

So I guess the short question is, has anyone had experience using cellulose fiber and would it be okay to use?

I have no experience with the material you are asking about. Generally people use pine shavings for chicks because they are harder to swallow. A lighter material may get eaten by chicks and cause problems. I always use paper towels over bedding the first week. Newspaper is too slippery.

Back
Top Bottom