Ceramic tile floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SweetPeaScott, Mar 13, 2010.

1. SweetPeaScott

SweetPeaScott In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    I am building a new coop and have some ceramic tile from my kitchen that I was planning on taking to the dump someday. I have the luxury of time and enjoy little creative/artsy projects. Does anyone see any problems with chickens breaking a beak or hurting themselves on the tile. I plan on covering it with a thick layer of bedding my thought is the tile may help with cleaning.

Thanks for your input I hope to participate more on this forum in the future when I have more questions or experience.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:My initial thought is that it might be too slippery even with pine shavings on top of it. Our pre-fab coop came with a textured glassboard, one-piece flooring unit that's got enough texture to provide sound footing and is smooth enough to make for easy cleaning. I am thinking that the grout may not be easy to clean either.
    Just my two cents...

3. SandyK

SandyK Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    I've seen some people that have really high roosts, when they jump down, that might be a concern. My Cochin roo has a limp in one leg, why, I don't know, their roosts aren't high at all, but I can hear them all thumping down in the morning when I let them out.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It could be somewhat slippery depending on the size and type of tile you use. It will also be harder to clean -- think "chicken poo glued into grout lines".

Mainly though, it seems just utterly POINTLESS. If you like to tile, fine, wouldnt you rather tile a tabletop or vanity top or the basement floor or something [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Slippery yes and especially if you put straw on it. It's too hard and it holds cold very well.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I would do it!! It will be SOOOOOO easy to clean! (Just be sure to seal the grout good )
    And make sure you have thick bedding over it...
    Tile isnt really porous like wood..etc..
    so i think that it would be MUCH more sanitary..you should be able to kill any germs very easily on it..... [​IMG]

I see that you are in CT..just make sure that you have DEEP bedding in the winter time...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  7. CityChook

CityChook Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
  8. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Songster

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    You can always give it a shot. Would be better than just throwing it away if you have extra. I don't see how it would be too slippery with shavings on top of it. People us linoleum flooring with no problems. I would think that would be more slippery than a tile floor would.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Yeah, but even linoleum does get slippery sometimes, because chickens are always shuffling the bedding around and you WILl sometimes get bare spots where there is little or no bedding over the linoleum. Or tile.

Pat

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a tarp that I put down and tacked to the floor. Put shavings over top of it and it works great and cleans very easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: