Cereopsis Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by SugarGroveFarm, Mar 14, 2018.

1. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Hello! I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if you can own Cereopsis geese in Ohio? And does anyone know where you can get them from in the U.S.? I really like them and I know they are rare so I would love to contribute to the population conservation plus I just think they are beautiful and interesting looking birds! Thanks in advance for any info guys! Cereopsis.jpg

2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Call your local game warden and that person can tell you whether or not it would be legal to have the Cape Barren goose in Ohio. Whether or not it would be legal to have them there doesn't really matter since they are an Australian goose and finding somewhere that they could be imported from is highly unlikely and extremely expensive. A brief google search did not show any evidence of any of them being in the U.S. outside of being in a zoo.

MotherDucker;) likes this.
  3. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I never thought about calling the game warden. I know ukwaterfowl.com has them but I don't know if they do international shipping which is why I asked if anyone knew anyone that sells them in the US I know it would be pretty expensive but I'm just thinking ahead for in the future anyway so I would have time to save and plan

4. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Not sure. All I know is you need a licence in Australia to keep them.

R2elk and MotherDucker;) like this.
  5. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Thanks. I'll have to call my game warden here and see what he says

6. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    I don’t know which state Mallard Lane Farms is in, but they have a large variety of wild waterfowl from all over the world. It would probably cost $1000 or so to get a pair anyways.

MotherDucker;) likes this.
  7. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Thanks I'll look them up to see if they have them

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    There was a pair at an auction in Kansas last fall I was at. They brought like $300 each but were "no sold", seller wanted more money. And I know of a person in Iowa that has a pair, I saw them there a few years ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: