Change in appetite ... seem like they're eating more

Willow77

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
I have 3 almost 6 week old NH. They've been in the coop for 10 days or so (Southern California so nights are warm). In the last couple days however they seem much hungrier. I've filled up their feeding dish twice yesterday and three times today. Should I keep feeding them more? They seem quite happy, are VERY friendly, and are quiet at night in their coop. Poop okay, drinking plenty.

Yes. Feed them what ever they demand. But they will be very loud and insistent when their feeder is empty. Chicks double in size each week until around ten or twelve weeks, and their appetites will expand in proportion.

The feeding frenzy will continue until after maturity at four to six months, then gradually taper off as they approach a year old. Until then, your chickens won't overeat. After that, eating a lot may be due more to habit than need. You will need to assess each one when that time comes. I found one of my one-year olds was pigging out and developing fatty deposits under the vent area, which isn't good. I got stricter after that about listening to their clamor for a bedtime snack.

Yes. Feed them what ever they demand. But they will be very loud and insistent when their feeder is empty. Chicks double in size each week until around ten or twelve weeks, and their appetites will expand in proportion.

The feeding frenzy will continue until after maturity at four to six months, then gradually taper off as they approach a year old. Until then, your chickens won't overeat. After that, eating a lot may be due more to habit than need. You will need to assess each one when that time comes. I found one of my one-year olds was pigging out and developing fatty deposits under the vent area, which isn't good. I got stricter after that about listening to their clamor for a bedtime snack.
Good info! Thank you!

Yeah, they're growing which will mean theyll be hungry. My chicks went through a 50lb bag of feed in less than a month. They're 11 weeks now and finally slowing down a bit. That bag of feed included them free ranging and getting bugs from all over the yard.

Yeah, they're growing which will mean theyll be hungry. My chicks went through a 50lb bag of feed in less than a month. They're 11 weeks now and finally slowing down a bit. That bag of feed included them free ranging and getting bugs from all over the yard.
Mine are doing the same. That's okay ... whatever they need. Just wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong. Thank you @Mamatomany123 !

Back
Top Bottom