Changing a Dark Cornish line into white

CNJ

Free Ranging
Oct 12, 2020
Oahu
I was wondering if any one tried changing a Dark Cornish line into a white Cornish line?

This is a picture of my chicks bred from my Dark Cornish rooster and recessive white Plymouth Rock hen. I noticed that all of them had pea combs, and some were on the white side.

This gave me an idea, I will breed my dominant white Breese hen and Dark Cornish rooster pair chicks to these. Hopefully, I will get some white birds with pea comb from this study and then line breed them, and select for pea comb and white feathers.

003.JPG

Last edited:
I was wondering if any one tried changing a Dark Cornish line into a white Cornish line?
The "All white Cornish" are Recessive White, but you could introduce the dominant white gene on it, if you keep crossing back to Dark Cornish you will end up with a Buff/Red/Orange Single Laced Type of chicken, not entirely white, unless you keep selecting for the Extended Black chicks(I suppose the white breese are extended black)

White Laced Red Cornish Bantams
cornish-bantam-type-chicken.jpg

Recessive White Standard Cornish hen
PoEPLbr14qUVdWXlFaLJZjQ3ZsnsCGoFjbJJamcA2a5P0sm1oyoB3KlpONibqODGcPE18XVg7qKu1g2Ew3UTk9emImj_YLKXUR0hlCxKafdySOM

Last edited:
(A) Dark Cornish Rooster + (B) White Plymouth Rock hen
(C) Dark Cornish Rooster + (D) White Breese Hen

Using whiter colored birds with pea comb for the (A/B) + (C/D) parents.

I am pretty sure there will be some white chicks from the (C/D) cross, but I am not sure if any of them will have pea comb.

There was someone selling show quality Standard White Cornish hatching eggs on ebay, but they were expensive, something like $120 for 6 eggs for the beginning auction bid. I tried twice and failed to hatch any. I gave up after that....and started messing around with Cornish x crosses to see if I could bring back a white standard Cornish.

There was someone selling show quality Standard White Cornish hatching eggs on ebay, but they were expensive, something like $120 for 6 eggs for the beginning auction bid. I tried twice and failed to hatch any. I gave up after that....and started messing around with Cornish x crosses to see if I could bring back a white standard Cornish.
You can with Extended Black and Dominant White

Like nica said if you cross a dark cornish over dominate white it will cover the black but all the red will still be visible. Recessive white covers all colors but it takes 2 copies to be seen. Recessive white cant be seen at all with one copy, but dominate white can be seen with 1 copy. Cheers

Like nica said if you cross a dark cornish over dominate white it will cover the black but all the red will still be visible. Recessive white covers all colors but it takes 2 copies to be seen. Recessive white cant be seen at all with one copy, but dominate white can be seen with 1 copy. Cheers
Extended Black is required for complete White(and homozygous dominant white because only one copy will result in white with black marks like paint silkies) so he would need to breed for that

I got an all white pea comb Cornish chick in my recent hatch. It came from a Dark Cornish/White Plymouth Rock hen and pure Breese rooster.

DSCN0545.JPG

The "All white Cornish" are Recessive White, but you could introduce the dominant white gene on it, if you keep crossing back to Dark Cornish you will end up with a Buff/Red/Orange Single Laced Type of chicken, not entirely white, unless you keep selecting for the Extended Black chicks(I suppose the white breese are extended black)

White Laced Red Cornish Bantams
cornish-bantam-type-chicken.jpg

PoEPLbr14qUVdWXlFaLJZjQ3ZsnsCGoFjbJJamcA2a5P0sm1oyoB3KlpONibqODGcPE18XVg7qKu1g2Ew3UTk9emImj_YLKXUR0hlCxKafdySOM
Your bantam hens look fatter than my standard Breese/Dark Cornish hens. My hens look skinny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom