changing tractor supply brooding

Does tsc not provide heat?

Heat is still be providing to the chicks, but instead of heat lamps they are using poorly designed heating pads; if you look at a lot of the setups, the pad is much too small for the chicks in the setup, up to high, resulting in a cold environment for the chicks. I was at my TSC a few days ago, and the birds looked very similar to the picture linked in post 1#.

Heat is still be providing to the chicks, but instead of heat lamps they are using poorly designed heating pads; if you look at a lot of the setups, the pad is much too small for the chicks in the setup, up to high, resulting in a cold environment for the chicks. I was at my TSC a few days ago, and the birds looked very similar to the picture linked in post 1#.
I visited 4 TSC stores within 30 miles radius of me over the past week and saw the exact same situation that you saw. I also saw dead and dying chicks at every store. The radiant heat pad is not working for various reasons.

Done. I took some pics of a chick for my son last weekend when I was there. I didnt know heat was an issue but the baby chickens had built up poop on their cloacas which made me concerned that they would become impacted, but I've never raised chickens before so wasnt sure if that was normal. It did look like there were heat plates in each of the little brooders though

Attachments

• 20210328_165506.jpg
    20210328_165506.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210328_165459.jpg
    20210328_165459.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 14
Not good. I was the Tractor Supply on Buckeye, AZ today. I was there to buy Equine Senior and on my way to the register I stopped to look at the chicks. It’s horrible, every chick in the stacked brooder had pasty butt really extremely bad! There was an store worker cleaning the plastic on the brooder. I advised her about the chicks condition also of the one dead that was being trampled on, flat! I asked to speak to the store manager. I informed the store manager, Mark, that the chicks were not being taking care of because every single chick had extreme pasty butt. There must be something wrong with these brooder because I have never seen TSC chicks look this way. The store manager said he will get someone to take care of them. I can’t believe no one working there knew this already!!! I purchased 6 just to try to save their lives. I took them home and cleaned them up and they are now under a heat lamp sleeping. If anyone is in the Buckeye area please go by and take a look. Please let them know this isn’t right.

Attachments

• 17F9A01E-C852-4025-95CF-288E7BF2CB5D.jpeg
    17F9A01E-C852-4025-95CF-288E7BF2CB5D.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 674F30E7-C0C3-4691-9B00-61922054E5A2.jpeg
    674F30E7-C0C3-4691-9B00-61922054E5A2.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 6
  • E878F964-5458-4986-8DA2-39387B8FA064.jpeg
    E878F964-5458-4986-8DA2-39387B8FA064.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 8366E48A-F0A9-401A-A415-EC80E72D2B12.jpeg
    8366E48A-F0A9-401A-A415-EC80E72D2B12.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 188DE6F4-7FAB-480A-ABAC-E55075E5FB1B.jpeg
    188DE6F4-7FAB-480A-ABAC-E55075E5FB1B.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 12
Not good. I was the Tractor Supply on Buckeye, AZ today. I was there to buy Equine Senior and on my way to the register I stopped to look at the chicks. It’s horrible, every chick in the stacked brooder had pasty butt really extremely bad! There was an store worker cleaning the plastic on the brooder. I advised her about the chicks condition also of the one dead that was being trampled on, flat! I asked to speak to the store manager. I informed the store manager, Mark, that the chicks were not being taking care of because every single chick had extreme pasty butt. There must be something wrong with these brooder because I have never seen TSC chicks look this way. The store manager said he will get someone to take care of them. I can’t believe no one working there knew this already!!! I purchased 6 just to try to save their lives. I took them home and cleaned them up and they are now under a heat lamp sleeping. If anyone is in the Buckeye area please go by and take a look. Please let them know this isn’t right.
hopefully you can save these babies! i don’t recommend purchasing from them though, because for every baby they get paid for it’ll just make them get another to suffer the same way (less chicks bought = less they will get)

hopefully you can save these babies! i don’t recommend purchasing from them though, because for every baby they get paid for it’ll just make them get another to suffer the same way (less chicks bought = less they will get)
My babies are doing great. Eating, drinking, pooping. They have sore behinds so I added some vaseline to their rumps. I really understand what you have advised. I just felt I had to help some. I really didn’t need to add more to my flock!! I have contacted the AZ Humane Society.

I agree with you, purchasing the chicks and ducklings only encourages the company to continue using the same method - because their customers approve if they are buying. I go one step further and purchase nothing from the company if I don't like their practices. I don't want to support them at all. Vote with your dollars.

Though I do understand the great temptation to save the baby in front of me.

I really do hate their new brooders..... and i wish I could just stop buying things from tractor supply, but my ducks and bunny will cost me like 3-4x as much if I get their supplies from local pet stores or even Walmart. The tsc pine shavings are 3 dollars less than the Walmart ones, and they are twice as much shavings. I can buy an entire 50lb bale of hay for my bunny at tractor supply for the exact same price of a 96oz bag of the same hay at the pet store. I just can't afford shopping for that type of thing anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom