Chantecler Thread!

Bruce, I have well over 200 hens and right now have about 10-15 who are broody - the recent warm temperatures upped the tally. We generally have plenty of eggs until summer hits and the temperatures are much higher then they really start getting broody. In Feb/March, I was hoping for a broody and did not have one. I do not try to break the hens from being broody and, instead, hatch from those who are not.

Even though I live right where the partridge were developed, do you have any idea how difficult it is to find them around here?!

I did find white. Their line was developed here in Alberta following the original steps that Brother Wilfred used to create them. They are such calm, curious birds. Right now they're living in my quonset and I haven't been able to find where they're hiding their eggs. Once I do I'm going to hatch as many as I can.
20180218_170448.jpg

My quest for partridge continues...

Even though I live right where the partridge were developed, do you have any idea how difficult it is to find them around here?!...
My quest for partridge continues...

I felt the irony a few years ago when I sold Chantecler chicks (from Michigan) to customs north of the border. I don't have Chanteclers anymore, but still get asked for them.

Now that the snow has melted enough my guys have figured out that the walls don't go all the way to the ground....
20180426_121945.jpg

Today I was fixing the run in my main coop, as it collapsed from the weight of the snow. The jail birds were so curious they wandered down to check it out. They were so calm, just wandering around almost underfoot. I love these guys!
20180427_165640.jpg

We got Partridge Chantecler hatching eggs from Shello (Old Time Farm) and had 6 cute chicks hatch the past couple days. These are our first Chanteclers.

Five of the chicks have the typical "chipmunk" coloring I've thought of as typical of Partridge chicks. The 6th is darker, with dark legs. It's a beautiful little chick, but I'm wondering if the coloring would predict that this chick will not have typical coloring as an adult, is more likely to be male/female, etc.

We are not planning to keep a rooster or breed chickens, so SOP is not so important to me. I chose to get some of this breed because they seem so well suited to our Montana winters. I hope to have a few chickens who lay reliably in the winter, to make up for the others that stop paying the rent when it gets really cold. ;)

Here are photos:

This is the darker chick:
IMG_4063.jpg

Here's a photo of all six:
IMG_4078.jpg

Any comments are appreciated! Thanks.

Looks like a rouge rooster came calling or they have other breeds and messed up. Not sure how they could mistake something that looks more like a Black Australorp (though I don't think it is one) than a Partridge Chantecler though. I would contact them and ask what that bird is.

I'm having major problems hatching from my whites. So far only 2 of 50 eggs have even been viable. They both hatched. I lost one the other day. I think it got buried in a huddle (brooding plate was unplugged and I didn't know it). So now I've only got 1 :(.
I have 2 roos now, but my new one is just trying to figure out how to mate. I saw him fall off of the side of a hen the other day :gig. I'm letting them free range for a few hours a day in the hopes that more space will help increase fertility.
My buckeye on the other hand.... I'm getting lots of buckeye chicks!

Back
Top Bottom