Chanteclers - Heart Defects?

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
Hello everyone,

my red chantecler girl, Riley, from ideal is ill. At first I thought our respiratory issues are what was causing it, but it's obvious it's not - she's not displaying any symptoms, and she has been very slowly changing. At first, I thought it was all the rain, but...

She is very lethargic, just sort of very slowly walks around. She will pick at food, and eat, but is not acting normal at all. When I picked her up the other night to give her a Tylan injection, I noticed her heartbeat - it is irregularly forceful and fast. I picked other birds up, but could not feel their heart beat when I touched their breast/bone area.

So, this leads me to believe that I'm dealing with some sort of heart problem - deformity or such. As a chick, she was healthy and ran around with the others just fine. Anyone know of heart defect problems with chanteclers?

Quote:
Thanks. It's sad... I'm trying to de-tach myself from her because it's very possible she won't make it, but it's not working. She's been one of my best baby girls so far.

Back
Top Bottom