Cheap homemade candling technique!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ruditchka, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    I posted this in another link but figured I'd share w/all if they hadn't read that link!

I've even used a "Pringles" potato chip can slid over any lamps light bulb(lamp shade removed) with an oval cut out of the bottom just a hair smaller than egg size so they can't fall through. Works great but do it in dark room to intensify what you're seeing, it makes all the difference if done in the dark! The pringles can fits snuggly around standard light bulb and has foil type interior insulation which seems to prevent any fire hazard. I've had the light on for quite some time w/60 and 75w bulbs w/ no problem. Its a cheap but efficient way of canseling and only costs about a buck, but you also get free chips then also!!!!!

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    LOL, what a great idea! [​IMG]

3. quail kid

quail kid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Hello,

Thats neat!:)But would it work for dark eggs?Or quail eggs?

4. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Haven't tried it on really dark egg but the key is to candle in complete darkness. You see so much better. For quail eggs, just cut a smaller hole in the cans base and it should work fine also!

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Wow, pringles box....that would work. I have been using this little flower pot with a hole in the bottom over my lamp! [​IMG] Light does seep out a little at the bottom...I am going to use your technique next time [​IMG]

6. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I suddenly have the munchies...........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by