cheap, safe heat source for chicks

forester7

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 21, 2016
New Brunswick, Canada
I am a teacher and I want to hatch chicks in my classroom. I have an incubator, but the problem is a heat source following hatching. Normal heat lamps are too much of a fire hazard for in the school. Any idea of a cheap, safe, maybe homemade way of creating an adequate heat source for 10 or so chicks?

I use a rent a coop brooder plate. I absolutely love it! I was so worried about fire risks now im not. And it heats well even in cold temps. I know it was like $50 though then an extra $10 for the cone.

I am a teacher and I want to hatch chicks in my classroom. I have an incubator, but the problem is a heat source following hatching. Normal heat lamps are too much of a fire hazard for in the school. Any idea of a cheap, safe, maybe homemade way of creating an adequate heat source for 10 or so chicks?
Look into using heating pad or an infrared seed mat. Best to get one with adjustable temp and most importantly no auto shut off😀

I was happy with a wool hen. This thread has links to others who used one as well as my journey through building and using one.

I haven't had chicks again but when I have them again, I will use it again. I kept it, lol. I think it would not need the hot water bottles next time - I was traveling, so wasn't able to build it with as many wool strips as I wanted until I got home.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wool-hen-or-wool-and-feather-hen-build.1463487/

Back
Top Bottom