Chehalis Washington Dec 3rd and 4th Potluck and Show sign up.

I will bring something really big MY APPETITE !!!
lau.gif

Still deciding.
If we are bringing something from our area...and I am in orchard country...
Waldorf salad was suggested - yum
what about an Apple dessert that is glutten free? Not pie..maybe some type of crisp. I will need to find out what counts as "glutten free".

Let me think about it. I want to make sure and bring something yummy.

Quote:
The show has sale cages available at $5 apiece. The information on sale cages is on the entry form. If you need one, email me (not PM, please).

Edited to add, and by one I mean an entry form. I am not involved in the sale cages in any way.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think that old fashioned rolled oats, will make a GF topping. I often use this type of crisp with fruit desert. But I would still double check on the oatmeal.

Oats are gluten free but can sometimes be cross contaminated from being processed on the same machinery as wheat. So they have to be purchased certified gluten free.

If you don't normally cook gluten free and don't have the right ingredients, then a big old crust free apple pie would go over just fine. (Just some good cooked apple pie filling).

Bob's Red Mill sells a gluten free flour that is OK. It's adequate for making a crisp topping for an apple crisp. Just make sure it is thoroughly cooked because it contains garbanzo beans which are bitter when they are raw, but fine to eat when they are fully cooked.

Forget about making gluten free pie crust. I've been trying for years now and still haven't figured out how to make a good one. I do a shortbread cookie under cream pie, but it gets soggy really fast and if you try to cook with it, the crust floats up into the filling.

Quote:
Try painting your shortbread with melted chocolate. It will create a moister barrier that will allow more time before things will turn soggy. I also believe you can use apricot preserves in some applications. I am not sure how the preserves will hold up in a baking application.

An excellent idea, justbugged. I will try it. Right now I bake individual short bread "pie crusts" and right at serving, I spoon in the lemon curd or banana cream and top with whipped cream and serve immediately.

I can made pecan pie by baking a thin layer of brownie and then using that as the pie crust. Baked fruit pies, I've given up and just make crisp with fruit.

Usually for a potluck, I just do cookies or brownies. Sorry I can't make it to the Chehalis show this winter. It sounds like you guys are going to have a good time.

Back
Top Bottom