Cheryl's Hen House...

Pics
Haha!! She's a brave one, eh!?
Was she pecked at(more than the usual RoostTimeRumble) or accepted on the roost?
Bet they go in en mass rather than one at a time.

Interesting to see signs of the preds we know are out there.
I'm sure nothing can get into your enclosure, except very small mice, it's so well built.

Had a fox charge the birds in my run, don't think it saw the fencing and think it ran right into it. I only saw the aftermath, birds watching fox trot away, then fox looked a bit dazed and confused and don't think it's been back.
Fox 5-9-17 3.JPG

Last night all the littles came into the coop for a snack!!! The one buff roosted with the bigs again but now Laverne has decided that she's going to sleep in a nest. Sheesh. The other 5 littles were all smashed together on the top rung as usual. Perhaps I have mentioned this before but, chickens are weird. They are all messed up.

Haha!! She's a brave one, eh!?
Was she pecked at(more than the usual RoostTimeRumble) or accepted on the roost?
Bet they go in en mass rather than one at a time.

Interesting to see signs of the preds we know are out there.
I'm sure nothing can get into your enclosure, except very small mice, it's so well built.

Had a fox charge the birds in my run, don't think it saw the fencing and think it ran right into it. I only saw the aftermath, birds watching fox trot away, then fox looked a bit dazed and confused and don't think it's been back.View attachment 1018365

No pecking at all really. The whole integration thing has gone well. The little buff is right there with the others on the roost. I plucked Laverne out of the nest and put her on the roost last night and she stayed there so hopefully that little ordeal won't be a deal.

Judging from the footprints I saw last night in the garden, I'd say the culprit is a large stray dog. I too am confident in the coop and run security so not too concerned about anything getting in. This is going on during the day time when we aren't home.

Sounds like it is going well... yes, they are goofyass creatures!

Hard to say how long you will have to 'pluck ' the pullets out of the nests,
and put them on the roost.
Here it seems to take weeks and weeks, until they lay really,
why I added the hinged cover to the nest bank.

Dogs are the worst...even if they can't get in they can harass the birds unto heart attacks.
If you continue to see signs, might think about a game cam and/or hot wire.

Sounds like it is going well... yes, they are goofyass creatures!

Hard to say how long you will have to 'pluck ' the pullets out of the nests,
and put them on the roost.
Here it seems to take weeks and weeks, until they lay really,
why I added the hinged cover to the nest bank.

Dogs are the worst...even if they can't get in they can harass the birds unto heart attacks.
If you continue to see signs, might think about a game cam and/or hot wire.

Was actually one of the bigs (Laverne) sleeping in the nest last night.

I have a game camera up already but it's on the back right now. We had an issue with the back gates being mysteriously open when we got home from work. Of course, it hasn't happened a single time since we put the camera up. Think I'll move it to the front where the tracks are just to see. I was/am concerned with the dog just pestering the chickens more than anything else.

Hmm, sounds like a human to me. IMO sneaky humans seem more sinister than a stray dog behaving naturally. Not that stray dogs are safe or anything.

Oh it was absolutely a human. No other answer. We came home one day to find some kids with their dogs in our back yard. Assuming it was them. Haven't had the issue since we caught them.

Terry, just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading your thread. My dear hubby and I are neophytes with chickens, it all started with a rescued rooster! Your coop is impressive, your attachment to your chickens is sweet, but your love for your wife and mother are glowing, golden testimonies to your manhood! I have a husband who is just as loving, giving, and caring. Believe me when I say that I appreciate real men who know how to treat the women they love. Your prose is thoroughly entertaining, too!

Oh it was absolutely a human. No other answer. We came home one day to find some kids with their dogs in our back yard. Assuming it was them. Haven't had the issue since we caught them.
Oh, kids with their dog! Not great, but much less sinister than humans sneaking around at night. :) I wonder if it is the same dog now, coming back to a place his kids introduced him to.

Oh, kids with their dog! Not great, but much less sinister than humans sneaking around at night. :) I wonder if it is the same dog now, coming back to a place his kids introduced him to.

A human sneaking around our place at night will be sorely disappointed if I see them.

Not sure about the dog deal. Seems there is often a stray in our neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom