chest virus going around?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mamagardener, Nov 19, 2010.

1. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

just wondering if anyone else has the same thing I have...I have been sick for over a month now. Cough and stuffy, chest tight sometimes and other time phlegmy. Today I went to the ER because I was having a pain in the left side, not in the chest but on the very side of my body. They did xray and ekg but everything looked fine and doctor said it was probably muscle spasm and gave me more antibiotics and valium to slow the spasm. I am not going to take the valium but I will take the antibiotic. Dr. said it is probably just virus, and in that case the antibiotics might not even work...might just have to wait it out.

Anyonoe else have this thing going around?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I had it a couple months ago and still have that "dry air" feel in my chest wall and sternum. Not sure but doc did say it was a virus and as long it is not problematic, it should not be of concern. Sometimes it can be painful and other times unnoticeable, it comes and goes like the weather.

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I've got something similar, and have had it for a couple of weeks. I can't get rid of it. Thank the Lord I'm nursing the baby or I'm sure she would have had it too, probably ended up in the hospital [​IMG]

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yup--had a nasty head cold that got as far as my throat back in September but got over it by the end of the month. However, my upper bronchial tubes seemed irritated and I cough a lot, sometimes violently. Went to the Dr. a couple of weeks ago, she checked me over and found nothing that needed medication for--would have given me something to dry up the nasal congestion but I am not allowed that kind of medication so I have to live with that until it cures itself. Interestingly, it does not bother me at night so I've been sleeping well it just kicks in when I've been up for a while and the nasal drip gets going--nose runs a lot too. DW has it as well but not quite as bad. Glad to find we aren't the only ones.

5. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    The youngest fought this for 5 weeks, 3 trips to the DR. Vaporizer in her room every night, just now almost back to normal.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've had a nasty cough for a couple weeks now, here lately it's really starting to kick my butt. My son was diagnosed with bronchitis about the same time I started with my cough...of course I didn't take myself to the doctor. Sometimes I get a tightness in my chest and other times my chest hurts when I cough, but usually it's just an annoyance. I'll be going to the doc's on Monday, though my luck I've got the same thing I had last winter....walking pneumonia [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    could it be that our living environment is too dry?

8. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Love it, "it's probably a virus, here take antibiotics..." sorry, but as a nurse that drives me nuts... they wonder why we have resistant strains. What happened to good old fashioned swabs and cultures? The most important things are good hydration, rest, good food (meaning good vitamin intake) and deep breathing to move any phlegm/fluids that may be there and keep your oxygen levels up.

9. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Yes! I've had the same exact symptoms for at least a month now! At this point I see no point in even seeing a doctor about it (no health insurance), so I'm waiting for the darn thing to die! It's getting ridiculous, it just won't go away!!

10. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I still have that cold/cough.

I have a good day I think I am finally over it, do too much and the next day back again.

No point in going to the doc, I would just get something new to go with it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by