Chestnuts

deerman

Rest in Peace 1949-2012
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
Southern Ohio
First like to tell how my dad would plant them , most where in the hills of Ky. Last year after Dad passed away I went to his back yard ,where he had a chestnut tree, to find it had been cut down by the power company.

So i go to a larger food chain to pick some up. Had 3 employees helping me look for them, told them they would be with the other uncracked nuts.

I walk over to where all 3 were standing , yep all three said guess we don't have any. A full tray of them under their nose, I said there they are, they pick up a bag and read the label..........guess none of the three had see a chestnut....

So me and my grandkids will be roasting chestnut this week..
wee.gif

Roast them in the oven 450 for 15 min. Yes they cost 4.00 a lb....guess i was spoil , just gather from the tree b4. I will be planting some for my grandkids....

I love chestnuts and they are still very very popular here particularly at Christmas... delish!... and fab with Brussel sprouts on Christmas Day... yum!... now I am hungry....

Quote:
Well, the first thing to know is that a BAD chestnut can put you off 'em for a while. Bleaaaaaah! Mealy, dusty, off flavor. But that comes from stuffing them into your mouth without looking at what you've peeled, first.

You peel the outer covering off after they've split from roasting and stuff the roasted chestnut into your mouth and it's a warm, sort of nutty but not quite nutty taste.

You cut a cross in the top of the chestnut before roasting (or microwaving) them. That gives you the curled peel to pull off to get to the meat of the chestnut.

How does one describe flavor????

They're great in meals, but I love to eat them just as a holiday treat.

Are they similar to pecans or walnuts?

I definately do NOT like black walnuts....bleck!

What is the real name for those N***** toes??? Dad kept calling them but they look like hard brown orange slice shapes. White meat inside. Sweet. YUMMY!

Back
Top Bottom