Chick acting weird

ComplicatedSimplicity

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 10, 2009
Upstate NY
I had some chicks arrive the other day and one was near dead. I did my best to nurse it back to health and it's doing pretty good except it holds it's head weird and is hell bent on pecking everyone else in the brooder.
I don't know what to do about either situation. It's roughly 4 days old.

This chick looks like it is displaying early signs of wry neck, or Vitamin E encephalopathy. (the upper neck is abnormally flexed) It is treated by getting some vitamins into it. some writers say Vitamin B, others say Vitamin E and selenium. You can't go wrong by giving it a good balanced multi-vit with a bit of extra E and add some selenium if it's not in the multi-vit preparation you've bought. Think, chick sized doses here, realizing that a full pill is designed for a 100# human! You can go with natural supplements, like raw liver for the B vitamins. Do a thread search to see what others have used. IMO, Nutri-drench is a wonderful product. Others have used Poly-vi-sol without Iron successfully. Good luck with the little monster!

This chick looks like it is displaying early signs of wry neck, or Vitamin E encephalopathy. (the upper neck is abnormally flexed) It is treated by getting some vitamins into it. some writers say Vitamin B, others say Vitamin E and selenium. You can't go wrong by giving it a good balanced multi-vit with a bit of extra E and add some selenium if it's not in the multi-vit preparation you've bought. Think, chick sized doses here, realizing that a full pill is designed for a 100# human! You can go with natural supplements, like raw liver for the B vitamins. Do a thread search to see what others have used. IMO, Nutri-drench is a wonderful product. Others have used Poly-vi-sol without Iron successfully. Good luck with the little monster!
I agree!

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom