Chick ate a hair tie

HayHays97

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
Hey guys, my 9 wk old chick ate my hair tie, its one of those fabric ones, and it was around my wrist and I took it off and let my chicks play with it, I know how stupid it was now, but they were having a so much fun chasing each other for it. But then before I knew it she ate it. I've read a lot of things on here about chickens eating weird stuff and being ok but I still need reasurring.

After she ate it she kept running around and playing and eating and drinking and stuff, but I'm still worried something might happen to her. Please help!!

Anything will be appreciated.
sad.png

Why would she eat that! goofy creatures. I would just say that you should deff keep an eye on her... she may pass it (hopefully) but watch to make sure she isnt struggling to much.

Don't blame yourself too much. My kids leave thing all over the yard and on Wednesday I had to chase down one of my chicks because it found a hairtie that one of my daughters had lost. She knew I wanted her "prize" and she wasn't about to let me have it. I could only get it when I managed to corner her. Now, I view the chicks and objects like I would my kids when they were babies and toddlers (one still is a toddler). Everything goes into their mouths and, if it fits, gets swallowed. I had to remove a styrofoam sheet that was in the garden because they decided to pick off pieces and eat them.

I would hope that the hair tie would just pass through her system but I don't know. All that I can suggest is to watch her and hope that it will all come out in the end.
smile.png
fl.gif
hugs.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks guys I know, what the chicks eat is pathetic, I'm going to keep an eye on her but she seems to be acting normally hopefully it stays that way.
smile.png

I just got my chicks the other day. They are in one half of my brooder with paper towels on the bottom. The other half has my two 5-week old Quail D'Anvers on pine shavings. One of the chicks found a single pine shaving and you would have thought it was on crack as it went racing around the brooder playing keep-a-way with the others in it's wake. I actually had to tug it out of it's mouth as it clamped down on it and would not let go! Silly chicks! So much fun to watch.

Keep an eye on your chick and make sure it is eating, drinking, breathing, and pooping okay and that nothing is stuck.

My mom was telling me the other day the things they used to find in the gizzard when butchering, and I was amazed! Marbles and bobby pins were two things they found. Your chick is younger so I am sure that makes some difference, but I was sure amazed at some of the things they ate that didn't kill them!

Haha that's what my chicks do, they find a single bit of fluff on the ground and chase each other around trying to get it.

She seems to be acting normally, but I am keeping a close eye on her. Thank you
smile.png

Ive heard things like that, that people were amazed with what they found in chickens, I read one post on here about someone who's chicken swallowed a airgun case, I don't know what happened to that chicken but I wonder how it actually fit down it's throat

Chickens are so silly like that!:lol: That happened to my chicken when she was 12 weeks. Nothing really happened She's about 4 and a half months old now and she is perfectly fine! I hope that ends up the same as yours.

Back
Top Bottom