Chick can't stand up or walk

EllieLovesChickens

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2017
Hey y'all! I have had a few chicken eggs hatch about two days ago and one of them is unable to stand up or walk since the moment it was born. It took him way too long to get out of the egg and when he was left with just a tiny piece of the eggshell I removed it carefully. Could that be the cause for his feet?? His one foot is making him incapable of standing up. He can move it but seems like it turns kinda inwards.. He doesn't really eat anything just a couple pecks. I give him water with vitamins and sugar using a syringe and sometimes put some of his food in his mouth while having it mixed with some water to be easier to swallow. I have him in his own in the incubator while the others are in the brooder. He does feel lonely but once I place him with them they start pecking on his foot probably because they think it looks weird... Should I cull it and if yes, how so that he has minimal pain??? I tried the bandage thing but it didn't really work out. Sorry for my bad English. Please help me. Ellie

Hey y'all! I have had a few chicken eggs hatch about two days ago and one of them is unable to stand up or walk since the moment it was born. It took him way too long to get out of the egg and when he was left with just a tiny piece of the eggshell I removed it carefully. Could that be the cause for his feet?? His one foot is making him incapable of standing up. He can move it but seems like it turns kinda inwards.. He doesn't really eat anything just a couple pecks. I give him water with vitamins and sugar using a syringe and sometimes put some of his food in his mouth while having it mixed with some water to be easier to swallow. I have him in his own in the incubator while the others are in the brooder. He does feel lonely but once I place him with them they start pecking on his foot probably because they think it looks weird... Should I cull it and if yes, how so that he has minimal pain??? I tried the bandage thing but it didn't really work out. Sorry for my bad English. Please help me. Ellie
can you post a picture? The first chick I hatched had trouble walking the first 3 days, but got stronger as the time went on. at about 72 hours it started to get going.
also, I had chicks hatch a few days early and had 2 brooder boxes from plastic bins and had them side by side so they didn't feel alone.

Yes o
can you post a picture? The first chick I hatched had trouble walking the first 3 days, but got stronger as the time went on. at about 72 hours it started to get going.
also, I had chicks hatch a few days early and had 2 brooder boxes from plastic bins and had them side by side so they didn't feel alone.
Yes of course! I'll post some photos by the time I get home!!! Thanks for replying!!!!!

IMG_20170905_211604.jpg

Here are some pictures. Sorry for the paint on my hand.. I noticed he has a little blood in his beak as well, what could that be?? I also forgot to mention he is peeping CONSTANTLY. Is he in any pain maybe???!?

Last edited:
Thanks but his foot is not splayed. It is somewhat turned around and inwards. Thank you for your advice. How do you cull your chicks if I may ask?

So, this was my first chick... It is right out of the shell, but the little one's leg was like this for a couple of days.
upload_2017-9-5_16-26-36.png

so, after it warmed up and moved it to the brooder, I tucked his leg under him when I would check on it. I just kinda let it works it's way and on the 3rd day, hit was kinda limping along and now is thriving. Although, it is oldest by a week, it is half the size as the rest. Just going to be a runt.
upload_2017-9-5_16-28-43.png

Hoping someone more experienced will pipe in and help.

Back
Top Bottom