Chick Crib Brooder Idea

Jenski

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Just saw this on our local craigslist, and while it has already been sold (surprise!), I saved a pic to share with BYC in case anyone out there is handy with woodworking. The only thing I am not sure of is where you would put a heat lamp, but there are several ways you could do it. Pretty cool, though!

12029_chicken_crib.jpg

nashville craigslist > for sale / wanted > farm & garden
Chicken Crib for new chicks! - $50 (franklin)

Date: 2011-03-05, 9:28AM CST
Reply to: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I made this chicken crib for my kids to watch their new chicks grow and develop. We are not getting any new chicken this year so its clearance time! It has a plexiglass window, metal mesh floor with a pvc roofing material tray that comes out to clean. The lid is simple and hinges back to feed and water the little critters. Its about the same size as a portable baby crib.

PostingID: 2248419637

That is gorgeous and a fair price! Wonder if they maker would considering making some more just to sell. Neat, I'm glad you shared!

I could build that, but I wouldn't want it taking up space for the 2 years between uses. My plan is to raise egg machines and rotate them out every 2 years. What do you do with layers that have laid all they were born with?? Give 'em away as pets? Eat 'em? How long will they live?

I am picking my chicks (ISA Browns) up Tuesday and will be brooding them in a Rubbermaid tote that is about 18 x 36. When they outgrow that I have an irregular shaped black plastic yard pond liner that they will be moving into before getting the boot out to their new coop.

Quote:
Instead of only hatching every two years (or ordering new chicks), just replace 1/2 of them every year, starting the second year. That way you always have 1/2 your flock as 1st year layers (their best production year) and keeps eggs coming all the time.

Quote:
My first Australorp hen is 5-6 years old now, and she still lays an egg every other day . . .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom