Molliechickens

Hatching
May 12, 2020
3 of the 4 chicks that I got were presumed males— the woman I got them from is reputable and rescues the roos. She traded me 3 presumed females for my very hand raised boys. I miss them but I can’t have roosters here! They’re about 4 weeks old, maybe a bit older. The new Olive egger chick and ameraucana chick are both definitely still acclimating and sometimes peep loudly when stressed. The barred rock seems pretty much fine. I’m giving them a lot of time on their own to acclimate but letting the OE and ameraucana lay on my chest in the dark and it calms them. I’ve had them for just a day so far.

I am worried about the OE though... she seems to try to hide under the other chicks and she seems to be crouching generally. She is eating, drinking and pooping normally. I just read recently that this could be a sign of illness. I checked her vent and she is not impacted that I can tell. Is she just scared in a new environment?
6BC9B73D-15C9-4975-84FC-634176E5ED32.jpeg

Also— my buff Orpington, Sheryl Crow, was my sweetest, friendliest girl when the presumed boys were around. Now that the new chicks are here, she’s acting like a cockerel in that she seems to be trying to protect the others from me and she’s less sweet while I’m handling her. Are they all just stressed because they got swapped out of their environments? Any advice? I want them to be as happy as possible.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom