chick dust bath

BOOMchickengirl

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2021
I know chickens need a dust bath, and one of my chicks is enthusiastically trying to bathe in the grit. Do chicks need a dust bath? If so, how do it in the brooder without making massive mess? Another silly question, what do I make a dust bath out of? I've watched wild birds bathe in regular dry dirt in my yard, but I'm not sure that's the solution is yard dirt, especially since my yard has rich soil rather than dirt this time of year.

How old are your chicks? What is your brooder set up like?

I personally have never offered a dust bath to my chicks until they go outside outside ( they move several times in the growing stage from basement to garage to separate pen etc.) with the big chickens- for me about 8 weeks or so usually. I just use pine shavings as my brooder bedding and change as needed depending on the number of chicks I have.

Chicks would appreciate a dust bath but generally don't need it. A small foil pan, shallow cardboard box or plastic tub would be fine to keep it (somewhat) contained. Probably would help if you kept the dust bath material to a minimum, since they will fling it around.

If you want to provide a dust bath and the soil in your yard isn't suitable, you can use a mix of any of the following: plain unamended top soil, peat moss, sand, wood ash.

Chicks would appreciate a dust bath but generally don't need it. A small foil pan, shallow cardboard box or plastic tub would be fine to keep it (somewhat) contained. Probably would help if you kept the dust bath material to a minimum, since they will fling it around.

If you want to provide a dust bath and the soil in your yard isn't suitable, you can use a mix of any of the following: plain unamended top soil, peat moss, sand, wood ash.
They are messy. They went from cotton balls to mini dinosaurs in a week. They scratch and bathe in everything.

I added a little container with some all purpose sand in the brooder somewhere between 3-4 weeks old and they loved it. I don't think they needed it necessarily, but its something nice for them to do and keeps them entertained.

1619196628469.png

I wasn't sure about the silica sand

It doesn't seem to be causing them any trouble. I use a mix of decomposed granite and all purpose sand in my adult bird's coop instead of litter. Works well for that.

The little chicks pick at it sometimes but don't seem to mess with it too much outside of bathing.

I have 7 week old Buff Orpington pullets. My soil is high in clay and they are kept in an enclosed run with pine shavings so I put a tub of peat moss in for them. They don't seem to be using it, nor do I see any sign of them making an area on the ground to bathe in. Should I be concerned?

Back
Top Bottom