Maka

Chirping
Sep 30, 2023
Hey. So I just hatched a little chick and its eyes won’t open. I think I saw one crack open a little bit but not sure.

Is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpeg
    IMG_1168.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 2
So one eye does crack open
Has anyone replied yet? I'd use warm water and a cotton ball to wipe the eyelid. It may just be crusty. If that doest work, try a small dab of vit e oil or even a little Vaseline . None of those things sting or cause pain,but may loosen the lid. P Nutrition is the biggest worry since they can't see very well to eat and drink. Don't try to force feed or water probably until you get more experienced guidance. But get it today. If it can willingly take a drop of water off your finger tip, that's ok... just let it do it naturally.
Keep it warm, and at this age the others shouldn't bother it, so it should be OK in the pen. If it's lethargic, separate it.

Has anyone replied yet? I'd use warm water and a cotton ball to wipe the eyelid. It may just be crusty. If that doest work, try a small dab of vit e oil or even a little Vaseline . None of those things sting or cause pain,but may loosen the lid. P Nutrition is the biggest worry since they can't see very well to eat and drink. Don't try to force feed or water probably until you get more experienced guidance. But get it today. If it can willingly take a drop of water off your finger tip, that's ok... just let it do it naturally.
Keep it warm, and at this age the others shouldn't bother it, so it should be OK in the pen. If it's lethargic, separate it.
I did try it. The first time it didn’t work. And now it’s worked! Yay

The other fun thing that happens is vent plugs that need to be removed from their little butts. Warm water helps w that too...

The other fun thing that happens is vent plugs that need to be removed from their little butts. Warm water helps w that too...
Oh yeah we call that chalk butt. Had. That. The eye thing I’ve never had. And when it didn’t work the first time I panicked

Back
Top Bottom