1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JACspivey, Apr 6, 2016.

1. JACspivey

JACspivey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    South Georgia
    Just wondering if sea shells would be the same as oyster shell.I'm at the beach now and just thinking of ways to save an extra buck. Or will the sand they get from my yard be enough for them. They don't seem to have a problem now with mealworms, grass, and birdseed.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    grit and shells are different. Shell is for calcium in laying hens. Grit is for grinding the food

3. JACspivey

Mar 8, 2016
    South Georgia

So, I shouldn't be worried about it yet? They are only a month old.

4. rottlady

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    if they are eating ANYTHING other than chick starter mash they must have grit

I bought a bag of chick grit for $4 at tractor supply and put out a handful every couple days along with finch seed as treat for my 1.5 week old chicks

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. JACspivey

Mar 8, 2016
    South Georgia
    So they need something bigger than sand, and crushed sea shells won't do?

6. rottlady

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    sand will work I think for chicks. I wanted to make sure so bought the bag of grit. It was cheap enough and at 1 handful every few days will last a long time

7. JACspivey

Mar 8, 2016
    South Georgia
    Better to be safe than sorry. To TSC we go.....again. haha.

8. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I just give mine a clump of dirt and skip the grit. They find things in the dirt and also eat the dirt.

I'm only on my second batch of chicks so I'm no expert but both times I had issues with pasty butt and after cleaning it up added dirt clump to the brooder and no more pasty butt.

Last year I had a brood raise a chick and she had her chick out in the dirt within a day or two of hatching so I figured if it's good enough for her it's good enough for me.

9. JACspivey

Mar 8, 2016
    South Georgia

Since mine have been out in the run on a regular basis they've gotten a bigger variety of food. Beeltes,grass,ants, whatever they can scratch up. They got halved grapes last week and went bonkers over them. Like you said, if dirt is ok with momma hen then it's ok with me. Thanks!

10. kimthom66

kimthom66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2013
    Southeastern CT
    Do you provide the grit in a dish, mixed with food or just on the floor of the brooder so they can eat it as scratch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by