Chick grit

JACspivey

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2016
South Georgia
Just wondering if sea shells would be the same as oyster shell.I'm at the beach now and just thinking of ways to save an extra buck. Or will the sand they get from my yard be enough for them. They don't seem to have a problem now with mealworms, grass, and birdseed.

Last edited:
if they are eating ANYTHING other than chick starter mash they must have grit

I bought a bag of chick grit for $4 at tractor supply and put out a handful every couple days along with finch seed as treat for my 1.5 week old chicks

Last edited:
I just give mine a clump of dirt and skip the grit. They find things in the dirt and also eat the dirt.

I'm only on my second batch of chicks so I'm no expert but both times I had issues with pasty butt and after cleaning it up added dirt clump to the brooder and no more pasty butt.

Last year I had a brood raise a chick and she had her chick out in the dirt within a day or two of hatching so I figured if it's good enough for her it's good enough for me.

I just give mine a clump of dirt and skip the grit.  They find things in the dirt and also eat the dirt.

I'm only on my second batch of chicks so I'm no expert but both times I had issues with pasty butt and after cleaning it up added dirt clump to the brooder and no more pasty butt.

Last year I had a brood raise a chick and she had her chick out in the dirt within a day or two of hatching so I figured if it's good enough for her it's good enough for me.

Since mine have been out in the run on a regular basis they've gotten a bigger variety of food. Beeltes,grass,ants, whatever they can scratch up. They got halved grapes last week and went bonkers over them. Like you said, if dirt is ok with momma hen then it's ok with me. Thanks!

if they are eating ANYTHING other than chick starter mash they must have grit

I bought a bag of chick grit for $4 at tractor supply and put out a handful every couple days along with finch seed as treat for my 1.5 week old chicks
Do you provide the grit in a dish, mixed with food or just on the floor of the brooder so they can eat it as scratch?

Back
Top Bottom