Chick has a protruding vent and pasty butt? Help! *PICS*

Just put his/her behind in warm water and wash it off....my chick had the same problem but now it's fine after a few days of washing it

I'm having the same issue with my little Silkie. It's good to know there were positive outcomes. She's about 8 days old. The poop doesn't block the vent, but that little vent is protruding pulsating when she peeps. I will keep cleaning her & try the prep H.

She'll probably grow out of it
smile.png

Hi everyone! I got three chicks in the mail on wednesday, all a few weeks old. The youngest looking one has what I can only describe as a protruding vent? He's eating and drinking fine, and is very active, but his poo is runny and REALLY light colored and well, his bum looks like this

62588_008.jpg

62588_011.jpg

62588_010.jpg

I don't know what to do. We tried treating it as a prolapsed vent already, we put some Prep H on it and pushed it in, but it just popped back out. When he "goes" it gets stuck in the feathers by his butt and I've had to clean him 2-3 times a day to keep him from getting pasty butt. We did trim the feathers off his bum tonight, and as gross as it is, at least I have to clean him off less. Does anyone have any clue what's wrong with the little guy? Or what I can do to help him?
hmm.png
He is eating well, but he's a lot smaller than the other two chicks I got with him. I can't cull him, I simply can't unless he is in complete pain and going to die anyway. He's running around, and acting fine, just has this gross looking vent. Thank you so much for the help!

Am glad I read this thread. my little Cream Legbar/Malay chick has the same thing with pasty butt and vent poking out. It scared me to death.

Even though this thread is a couple of months old now I just wanted to share that I had 8 chicks arrive earlier this week and one of the chicks has a protruding vent. I knew exactly what it was as soon as I saw it. Since I ordered females they were obviously vent sexed.Vent

Oops hit send button...Anyhow Vent sexing in hatcheries is done very quickly and sometimes they can twist the chicks vent this way. While I have not found any "correct" way to treat it,I have been doing what everyone else has been doing and applying prep h (& neosporin if it's looking really red) Electrolytes & probiotics added to water & making sure to rinse her bum when necessary to prevent any blockage. Hoping this little girl makes a full recovery. I just wanted to mention this for anyone who received their chicks from a hatchery and had them sexed. It may not be the case for everyone but I'm pretty certain in my case that this is what it is. Hope this helps! Good luck to anyone experiencing the same issue.

Update: My little BSM "Beakers" sadly passed yesterday. I did all I could but I really think that they did something to her internally when they vent sexed her. So sad because she would have been a gorgeous bird. I hope everyone else's chicks are well.

Back
Top Bottom