1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick listless and gasping for air

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mhaines4102, Jul 26, 2008.

1. mhaines4102

mhaines4102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    I have a chick that is listless and gasping for air. I separated it from the other chicks, what could it be? (5 days old)

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Did you listen to it's lungs for any crackleing? If so it has a cold. You'll need to treat it with some meds. If not I'm not sure what it could be......

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Separate it from the others. Put electrolytes in it's water. Get some poly-vis-ol pediatric vitamins (without iron) from the drugstore and give the chick 1 drop twice a day for 7 days, then taper off. Buy some Terramycin to put in the water ASAP! It likely has a respiratory infection of some kind and may need a stronger antibiotic...like Baytril...but you will have to get that from a vet.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:what he said, ... hope it makes it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    As far as easy-to-get powdered medicines go, Aeromycin is probably better to give than Terramycin. It is supposed to last longer--If you're giving Terramycin in water you're supposed to mix up a fresh batch twice a day, while you don't have to do that with Aeromycin.
    Just what I've heard.

6. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Sometimes chicks get listless when they are hot, and they pant to help them cool down. Could it be something as simple as that?

I had some chicks once (dark colored) that seemed to like it 5 degrees or so cooler than any of my others. I thought maybe their dark down was absorbing heat more than the down of my other light colored chicks.

I hope your little chick will be okay!

7. mhaines4102

mhaines4102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    Thanks for all the posts. It didn't make it. But thank you. I think it got too hot... if possible. All of the chicks started panting soon after. I moved the brooder into my laundry room and they all started looking good. It was about 98 to 100 outside. Is that possible? But, it was more than panting. It was gulping for air. Could it have gotten a chunk of chick starter caught in it's throat? Well, the other 25 are really energetic.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Unless they were in the direct sun, it shouldn't be too hot. Seems like the hotter it is, the more mine like it...as long as they are in the shade.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I went out yesterday morning on the patio and the chicks were in direct sunlight, and panting. It was only 8 am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by