Chick or Yolk? HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by classhatching, May 26, 2012.

1. classhatching

classhatching Hatching

May 26, 2012
    We are hatching chicken eggs in my grade 2 classroom. We have 24 brown eggs incubated and we are on day 10. Yesterday I candled the eggs (at day 9) and they all look the same, except for 2. Two of the eggs are definitely empty (absolutely nothing in them, light shone right through). The other 22 had a big black blob in them that moved around as I moved the eggs. No sign of veins or an eye, but the eggs are dark and I just had a regular ol' flashlight. Do you think I'm seeing the yolk or a chick?

Here's a couple of pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Songster

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm not a master but those eggs don't look good.

3. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    It's upside down hard to tell at day ten I always leave them till at least day 14.

4. classhatching

classhatching Hatching

May 26, 2012
    So, the bigger end of the egg is supposed to be pointing up? Oops! I'm new at this! There were well defined air sacs as well, but I know that doesn't mean it's fertile.

5. anbsmom

anbsmom Chirping

Apr 15, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    They don't look like they have developed. You should be seeing veins in them at this stage.

6. classhatching

classhatching Hatching

May 26, 2012
    Also, would the yolk be that big? Why would I have 2 completely empty eggs? Where would the yolk be on those?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: