Chick pecking at every other chick's eyes, help!

Sarahh_Janeyy

Songster
Dec 12, 2019
North Florida
I got (6) new chicks today, and 1 chick is being a bully. But not just the regular pecking order bully, she's going for everyone's eyes. And preferentially, she's bullying the 2 bantams. I tried to separate her but give her a friend, but she pecked at every other chick's eyes I put in there with her. She doesn't want to be alone, and keeps trying to jump to where the rest of them are. What do I do? Is she going to grow out of this? Is it going to traumatize her if I keep her separated from the rest of them? One of the bantam babies eyes had blood around it and she has been closing it a lot. Ideas?? Suggestions?? Thanks!

I read these two articles which were helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior.72029/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-reform-of-a-bully-chick.1141018/

I separated the problem chick, it doesn't look pretty but we now have a baby jail :/ We cut out a window in the cardboard and put screen on it, and it led to unexpected interest on both sides of the window. At least they can't hurt each other, right? Hoping this resolves over the next week... I was so excited about this batch of chicks because they all seemed really friendly and readily jump into my hands and run to see me when I open the brooder. All this chaos with this bully has been so disruptive and I'm worried about the lasting consequence.
IMG_20210609_214602_728.jpg

It is common for chicks to peck at eyes on others. Most of the time (I haven't had) they don't injure the others. But yes if the problem "child" is injuring other separate maybe with a friend it's not bullying.

Are the ones with eyes closed showing signs of injury or maybe discomfort. I would watch and make sure there's an Injury before I do anything. More than likely they might have discomfort and will be just fine.

They seem to be doing better, bully is still separated, the bantams opened the eyes all the way. One of the bantams has started pecking at the others now.. go figure... Someone suggested saline for their eyes if they seem injured, thoughts? Seems okay for now.

Might want to try setting up toys like this, marked with red (to get their attention) or dots (to simulate "eyes") so the chicks fixate on the toys instead of one another: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-pecking-other-chick.1430088/#post-23567316
We had already done that, and added more (carboard has dots all over, there are 4 small tennis balls in there with red and black dots, a mirror, and a colorful child's xylophone). I tried testing the bully the last two days and she immediately went for the eyes. One bantam (the lighter colored one) now has her eye closed again and there is a clear injury above her eye- it looks like it's eyelid got grabbed.

So bully is still separated.. and now another bantam is doing the same thing - pecking and eyes and vents! I can't separate another one.. What the heck..

Back
Top Bottom