Chick Pecks my Eyeballs

Quote:
So true indeed.................. too many folks think this behavior is soooo cute, kind of like a worthless house cat who jumps up 8' onto something and knocks down and breaks a priceless family heirloom, I am furrious and cussing but my DW is laughing and thinks that was soooo cute
he.gif
barnie.gif
. What is really funny is watching somebody wearing safety goggles while in the coop doing chores all the time with birds on her shoulders like a roost
idunno.gif
Somehow I think our warnings will go unheaded, to those who believe cute allways trumps safety.

Quote:
My birds do not like apples but put a cantaloup or water melon end or honey due melon something they would devour like living flesh, eyeballs. You only have 2 and it is not worth the chance as cuter as it may seem.

Not only will they peck at your eyes if you let them on your shoulder....when my chickens were about 6 weeks old, I was bending down to pick up something off the ground in the coop. Of course, they are underfoot the entire time--my golden comet jumped up and pecked my open unprotected right eyeball.

It hurt SO BAD, my eye started watering uncontrollably and it felt like I had glass in it. I could barely open it for 2 days. Put some antibiotic eye drops in, which burned horribly. Got better after about a week. But, to this day (4 months later) when I first wake up in the morning, that eyeball always feels gritty and dry, takes it about 20 minutes to feel normal.

She was just being curious, and now I am extra careful. Even though now that they are older, they don't really show interest in eyeballs. Shoelaces and pants legs are the "in thing" right now,
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom