chick picking on one other chick

ChickDaze

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
i got my newborn chicks today. one chick is being plain mean. she pecks at anothers eye incessantly. she pecks, i pick her up. i put her down, she waits about thirty seconds then goes looking for her. she is separated from her and is with two roo chicks that she doesn't pick on, but is screaming at the top of her lungs. what so i do to stop this, and if i can't, how do i keep her from hurting her? if it helps at all, she is an EE and the other is a pullet of another breed.

Make sure the temp in the brooder is at 90 degrees for new borns. If it is 90 degrees, you could try dropping the temp 3 or more degrees and see what happens. Chicks will pick at each other if they are too warm.

Give them something to do. They are a bit young, but put in a few branches cut from a tree with leaves that they can pick at instead of each other. Mount one branch up an inch off the floor so they can climb on it.

You can take a cereal box with one side cut off, along with the edge so the babies can get in, and fill it with grass clippings. Thow in some grit so they can digest the grass and even throw in some chick feed in the box.

When chicks are bored, they will pick on each other and these things may distract this little one from bugging the other. And if this doesn't work, try separating the aggressive one in the same brooder for a day or so to maybe break this habit.

Good luck with your babies!
smile.png

She only picks at the females. not the roo chicks so much. I put a few sticks nailed together for roosts and they like climbing on them. I will try dropping the temperature.

Thanks! i will get an update later.

My boys set up the entertainment for the chicks.

Cut a cereal box removing the top and cutting out doors. Put the mash on the floor of the new "house".

Kids toys that are brightly colored, yet safe. like a plastic cube, or race car (without tiny wheels), silly putty covers (no silly putty), plastic pink rabbit 2" tall.

You get the idea . . . . GL

Thanks for the boredom buster. I don't know if it was the heat of the boredom, but they love the box.

Back
Top Bottom