Chick playing DEAD!!!!

ClumsyUzi

Chirping
Sep 5, 2020
Pakistan
I have 2 weeks old chicks and one of them started playing dead and after some time he becomes normal. It happened once when i went to the brooder for random inspection and also happened just now when I picked him up. Is it some form of survival instinct?? PLEASE REPLY FAST?!!!!!

Baby chicks sleep hard... I used to think they were dying, but I assure you it’s probably fine unless it’s not eating, drinking, has pasty butt or is lethargic.

Well, he just passed away, I burried him roght now. I think it might be due to extreme rise in heart rate because i notice that they start running like hell when I start to grab them
Baby chicks sleep hard... I used to think they were dying, but I assure you it’s probably fine unless it’s not eating, drinking, has pasty butt or is lethargic.
He just died. I think it's because their heart rates go extremely high when i try to grab them.

Well, he just passed away, I burried him roght now. I think it might be due to extreme rise in heart rate because i notice that they start running like hell when I start to grab them

He just died. I think it's because their heart rates go extremely high when i try to grab them.
I’m sorry to hear that, that’s very strange! I really don’t know what it could have been.

There could be any number of reasons your chick died, so I would not beat yourself up thinking you gave the poor thing a heart attack by trying to grab it.

FWIW, I seldom handle my chicks. When I do, I usually use some kind of moveable barrier/cardboard to corner them in a small area, that reduces their ability to run around and I don't have to chase them trying to get ahold of them.

Hope your other chicks are doing well. Good luck.

There could be any number of reasons your chick died, so I would not beat yourself up thinking you gave the poor thing a heart attack by trying to grab it.

FWIW, I seldom handle my chicks. When I do, I usually use some kind of moveable barrier/cardboard to corner them in a small area, that reduces their ability to run around and I don't have to chase them trying to get ahold of them.

Hope your other chicks are doing well. Good luck.
The other chicks are doing well. I'm gonna follow our advice and corner them first. Hope you all are having a good day :)

Back
Top Bottom