Chick poo?

Lovesilkty21

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Chandler
Hey I have a question-
I just got my little chickie about 3 hours ago and in there poor some and green and white and wet and some have orange like mucus spots?
A. Do I need to worry about these spots?
B. if so what should i do to help fix it?

Not sure if the feed I have is medicated, it got three names (Cargill, Arizona Feeds, Eagle Mills), Chick Starter 20% mash, what should I look for on the ingredient label to know if it’s medicated?

I can get a picture if you think it will help?
Thank you for any help

The tag will have "Medicated" written on it and the dose of medication above the rest of the ingredients. If you are still seeing orange/red in the poo after a few days, you may want to put them on some Sulmet for Cocci.

So is it normal for their first poo’s to be off?

8-13-09006.jpg

8-13-09007.jpg

8-13-09009.jpg

8-13-09010.jpg

8-13-09011.jpg

What is Sulmet and where could I get it?

Last edited:
The red is probably cecal poo, looks like it, and that is normal. You will see quite a variety of color and consistency in normal poo, particularly baby chick's poo. One thing you can do for them which is quite beneficial is give a little plain live culture yogurt. This builds good gut flora and helps them digest food better. Give about 1 tsp mixed with a pinch or two of their feed, once a day or a few times a week.

Sulmet is a sulfa antibiotic and is rather rough on chickens, particularly baby chicks. It is sometimes used to treat coccidiosis, or cocci. Coccidiosis can also be treated with Corid, a brand of amprolium. If your feed is medicated, hopefully it is medicated with amprolium. If you do feel you must treat for cocci, Corid is much safer (it is a much higher dose than what is added to medicated feed.) There are other antibiotics that are sometimes added to feed. Try to avoid antibiotic use unless you are certain it is necessary and the correct one, and do read up first.

Here is a good thread about cocci, and a chart of poo pictures to help you see what is normal:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=218859&p=2

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited by a moderator:
that is what my two turky chicks poop looked lik until they had eaten some food and drank water then there poop was lik normal chick poop
big_smile.png

Another question, the 2 americana chick haven't eaten any feed yet, all the others have peeked at it and i think eaten. but those 2 are
Should i worry or just let them be i got them to drink a bit and they did drink(one) on it own

Mix a pinch or two with a little water to make a mash and offer that; put a bit on the beak.

Sometimes these feeds are ground a bit too coarse for brand new chicks, and you need to whiz it in the blender or crush under a rolling pin for a few days til they can manage it.

I tried wetting some and still no interest and i even tried to get some on their beak and they weren't.
I'll try again soon
the other man on man all i did was peek at the food with my finger and they went after it and i would move to another whole and the chick would dart over to that one, but the americana are not interested

When did they hatch? They can easily live three days off the yolk before they need to eat; they may not even be hungry yet.

I agree, the question is, how are they acting? Wandering around, chirping? Sleep a few minutes then up again? Checking out the territory and each other?

You probably need to take a few deep breaths and enjoy them! Don't get me wrong, if there is a problem, we'd love to help if we can, but maybe you are worrying a bit too much????

Back
Top Bottom