Chick prolapsed?

JenHarmon

Songster
Apr 26, 2017
Texas
I have a showgirl chick that is almost 3 weeks old and chick is eating and drinking fine and pooping fine, but it kindof looks like the vent may be prolapsed some. Can I put a little dab of preparation h on it? Or what do I do? Vets here won't see chickens ugh...

I ran some warm water of the chicks bottom because some poop was stuck on. Does not have runny poop. Is being fed medicated chick starter same as my other chicks. Acts totally fine. No treats or any extras.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1512787872787.jpg
    FB_IMG_1512787872787.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 1208172056.jpg
    1208172056.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1208172056a.jpg
    1208172056a.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 21
It looks okay, maybe a bit swollen from having the poop stuck on it, but it doesn't look like a prolapse :)

Preparation H is okay to use on chicks and adult chickens. If you had prolapse on this chick, you'd know it.

The vent tissue on a chick is so delicate that it's easily irritated from rubbing, and it can become swollen. Coconut oil would be good to use on a vent that's merely irritated.

Keep an eye on this chick, though. It could have a bit of constipation starting up which can cause the vent tissue to swell as the chick strains to poop. In that case, coconut oil orally is a good remedy.

Coconut oil in its solid state is easiest and safest to use since it's far less likely to be aspirated down the airway and into the lungs as liquid oils are.

Take small bits of the oil and see if the chick will eat them on its own. Many will. If not, it's very easy to pry open its beak and slip small bits onto its tongue. It will automatically swallow. Try to get a teaspoon of the oil down the chick. In twelve hours, the chick should pass a very large poop and start to feel much better.

Back
Top Bottom