Chick raising Diary! 🐣 First time raising babies, with a first-time broody-mother (cute chick photos incoming!)

Monday 2nd October 2023
Thank you all for the kind comments ^^ hope you enjoy more chick pics

One day I will keep up with updates and not leave it all til days later! Tues/Wed update after this post...

Sadly we got the worst news today. I was looking after Nugget's parents for my friend over the weekend, and on Monday afternoon they found Marcel (Nugget's father!) dead in the house! I put him to bed on Sunday evening and saw he wasn't looking 100% - he was drinking water rather than going to bed with his ladies, just looking tired. I had to herd him in, and then he roosted on the floor rather than a perch.... I didn't suspect anything though. Sadly Nugget is now a half-orphan... Though, it does mean if they turn out to be a cockerel, my friend will gladly take them back as Marcel 2.0!

The chicks are all doing well though! They are getting super playful, so I added some more sticks for them to balance on, perch on and run around!
2023-10-02 Lilac.jpg
2023-10-02 Little Popcorn.jpg
2023-10-02 How can you say no to that cute face!.jpg
2023-10-02 The trio.jpg

2023-10-02 Little monkies on the aerial assault course.jpg
2023-10-02 That wingspan on Lilac!.jpg

I may have made a mistake of putting a stick across the whole run... as Lily put her foot on it whilst Nugget and Lilac were perching on it! They had to hold on for dear life as she shook and twisted it!!! 🤣

2023-10-02 Oh god, here she comes!! Quick, flap!.jpg
2023-10-02 Brace yourselves!.jpg

Look how tiny Popcorn looks next to the other two monsters! Still, Pop's wings are developing nicely and I'm not too worried. They still are a bit less active and gape a bit when drinking, but I think that may just be Popcorn quirks!

2023-10-02 The size difference!.jpg
2023-10-02 Lilac and Popcorn.jpg

2023-10-02 Locked up in chick jail whilst mum eats outside!.jpg

^ Cute face peeking at you from chick-jail. Lily needs her time out of the run these days as she gets bored and hungry, so she gets at least 10 min escapes like every good mum needs!!

Nugget Age: 13 days
Lilac & Popcorn Age: 16 days
Highest daytime temperature: 17c (62f)

Overnight lowest outside temperature tonight: 10c (50f)

Tuesday 3rd October 2023

The chicks have learnt a new trick! Climbing on humans to beg for food 🤣
I wanted them to get more used to being handled, as at the moment they just get chased around by "The big scary hand" to get picked up! They cheep in fear and I feel bad... so I'm letting them come to me :)

That means tempting them with treats of corn though, which they love! I get them to eat the corn from my hand, then either they stand on my hand or I can gently scoop them up and offer another kernal, and they're happy! Nugget caught on TOO quickly and now comes flying at my lap if I open the gate and sit down! Lilac is pretty cautious, and Popcorn is always last to the food! Nugget is so persistant and such a character though, definetly the leader and the boldest!

2023-10-03 Popcorn and Nugget on my lap.jpg
2023-10-03 Lily wants that corn!!.jpg

2023-10-03 The trio on my lap.jpg
2023-10-03 Take the jump Popcorn! A ride on mum awaits.jpg

Popcorn's wing feathers are looking nice and white now, and I saw they have a flash of black at the bottom of the wing - meaning the Columbian Pekin theory is looking very strong!
2023-10-03 Popcorn with a flash of black on the wing .jpg
2023-10-03 Popcorn and Nugget.jpg

It was a nice sunny day, so they really enjoyed some sunbathing.

2023-10-03 Sunbathing.jpg
2023-10-03 Lilac.jpg

It was also weighing day!
  • Nugget: 92g (+10g)
  • Lilac: 75g (+5g)
  • Popcorn: 57g (+6g)
You can really see the egg-yolk spike, maybe I need to crack that out again 🤣
2023-10-03 Weight chart.png

Nugget Age: 14 days
Lilac & Popcorn Age: 17 days
Highest daytime temperature: 15c (59f)
Overnight lowest outside temperature tonight: 11c (51f)

Wednesday 4th October 2023

Human climbing is now their favourite game! Nugget will be on me in seconds if I let them! They all had a nice perch on my arm or legs today, and enjoyed a bit of corn!

2023-10-04 Where's the next piece of corn.jpg
2023-10-04 Nugget sitting on my arm.jpg

2023-10-04 Lovely Lilac.jpg
2023-10-04 Floofy Lilac.jpg

2023-10-04 Popcorn and Nugget on my arm.jpg
2023-10-04 Cursed Nug photo!.jpg

Lilac and Nugget have good feather development now, with what I think are pin feathers appearing on their backs/above the wings? Still waiting for Popcorn's tail to sprout 🤣

2023-10-04 Popcorn says Any corn in here.jpg
2023-10-04 Nuggie on my lap.jpg
2023-10-04 Lilac hitching a ride.jpg
2023-10-04 Mash time.jpg

Popcorn was kinda breathing heavily earlier, hope they're okay. They were just chilling on my arm, maybe sunbathing a bit? Or maybe a tad cold, as they all called for Lily to warm them up once they were back in the run! The other two were very active!

I'm tempted to try letting them out of the small run soon, and let them explore the larger run with Lily (supervised of course!). This would mean that they would meet Pepper, who I think would just be curious but not mean to them? I'm worried that they won't accept going back into the small run though afterwards, once they get used to FREEDOM. I can see Lily would like to get in the larger run, she is often pacing the fence and begging for food when she sees me....

I also think they're still small enough to escape the larger pen (it's just chicken wire, with gaps underneath it [where not weighed down with rocks] and gaps around the door... I would hate for them to get stuck on the wrong side of the fence and get stressed!

Nugget Age: 15 days
Lilac & Popcorn Age: 18 days

Attachments

• 2023-10-04 Nugget sitting on my arm.jpg
    2023-10-04 Nugget sitting on my arm.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 8
Wednesday 4th October 2023

Human climbing is now their favourite game! Nugget will be on me in seconds if I let them! They all had a nice perch on my arm or legs today, and enjoyed a bit of corn!

View attachment 3652021View attachment 3652033
View attachment 3652025View attachment 3652026
View attachment 3652028View attachment 3652029

Lilac and Nugget have good feather development now, with what I think are pin feathers appearing on their backs/above the wings? Still waiting for Popcorn's tail to sprout 🤣

View attachment 3652030View attachment 3652024View attachment 3652031View attachment 3652035

Popcorn was kinda breathing heavily earlier, hope they're okay. They were just chilling on my arm, maybe sunbathing a bit? Or maybe a tad cold, as they all called for Lily to warm them up once they were back in the run! The other two were very active!

I'm tempted to try letting them out of the small run soon, and let them explore the larger run with Lily (supervised of course!). This would mean that they would meet Pepper, who I think would just be curious but not mean to them? I'm worried that they won't accept going back into the small run though afterwards, once they get used to FREEDOM. I can see Lily would like to get in the larger run, she is often pacing the fence and begging for food when she sees me....

I also think they're still small enough to escape the larger pen (it's just chicken wire, with gaps underneath it [where not weighed down with rocks] and gaps around the door... I would hate for them to get stuck on the wrong side of the fence and get stressed!

Nugget Age: 15 days
Lilac & Popcorn Age: 18 days
looking as sweet as always I really love your updates! Hope they stay healthy and strong

Thursday 5th October 2023

Another weighing day!
  • Nugget: 104g (+12g)
  • Lilac: 86g (+11g)
  • Popcorn: 61g (+4g)
2023-10-05 Weight chart.png

Popcorn really hasn't put on much weight at all! I got the scrambled egg yolk out again today and fed them a bit, saving some for tomorrow. They love it! Popcorn went up from 61g to 63g after just a bit of yolkage!

2023-10-05 Enjoying some scrambled yolk.jpg
2023-10-05 The trio daring each other to leave the run first!.jpg

They were all super active today, I literally couldn't keep eyes on them! They are all getting very friendly at coming up on my lap and running to my hand for food! They all had a bit of corn as a treat too, they definitely went to bed with full crops!

Nugget has quite taken to just sitting on my lap, praying silently for corn... the other two are content to sit too but they don't tend to invite themselves up as often as Nugget does!

2023-10-05 All three on my arm.jpg
2023-10-05 Lilac.jpg

2023-10-05 Nugget and Popcorn on my arm.jpg
2023-10-05 Lilac and Nugget begging for corn on my lap.jpg

2023-10-05 Funny photo of Lilac going splat!.jpg

Lily has been pulling out a lot of her feathers again, obviously still feeling broody! She was lining the nest with them before bed.

I've seen a few runny poops in the run, and with Popcorn's weird behaviour (slow growth, gaping after drinking, some heavy breathing, less active than the other two) I'm going to precautionarily treat them for Coccidiosis with the Harkers 3.84% Coxoid, I added about 6ml to their litre of water... better safe than sorry as everything I have read says there's no downsides to treating them even if healthy! They've all been on non-medicated feed and had no vaccines so I don't think this will harm. I'll try adding it to the water for 7 days and see if it helps.

Nugget Age: 16 days
Lilac & Popcorn Age: 19 days
Overnight lowest outside temperature tonight: 13c (55f)

Another weighing day!
View attachment 3652772
Popcorn really hasn't put on much weight at all! I got the scrambled egg yolk out again today and fed them a bit, saving some for tomorrow. They love it! Popcorn went up from 61g to 63g after just a bit of yolkage!

View attachment 3652752View attachment 3652753

They were all super active today, I literally couldn't keep eyes on them! They are all getting very friendly at coming up on my lap and running to my hand for food! They all had a bit of corn as a treat too, they definitely went to bed with full crops!

Nugget has quite taken to just sitting on my lap, praying silently for corn... the other two are content to sit too but they don't tend to invite themselves up as often as Nugget does!

View attachment 3652754View attachment 3652755
View attachment 3652757View attachment 3652758
View attachment 3652759

Lily has been pulling out a lot of her feathers again, obviously still feeling broody! She was lining the nest with them before bed.

I've seen a few runny poops in the run, and with Popcorn's weird behaviour (slow growth, gaping after drinking, some heavy breathing, less active than the other two) I'm going to precautionarily treat them for Coccidiosis with the Harkers 3.84% Coxoid, I added about 6ml to their litre of water... better safe than sorry as everything I have read says there's no downsides to treating them even if healthy! They've all been on non-medicated feed and had no vaccines so I don't think this will harm. I'll try adding it to the water for 7 days and see if it helps.

So sweet! I remember when my chicks used to snuggle in my coat and perch on my arms! I miss when they were little even if they still snuggle!!!these are the three i was talking about as you can see the roosters were smaller then their sister
C3A4F3E3-063C-4897-9C76-C6E109099638.jpeg
BAE3E1F7-0658-47B8-AFFC-8F63B77F93BB.png
This is when I first brought them home they don’t look the best in this picture but they soon fluffed up and looked better. They are around two weeks here

Attachments

• 8E40AC21-A86C-4533-9154-72C190D038DC.jpeg
    8E40AC21-A86C-4533-9154-72C190D038DC.jpeg
    738.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Another weighing day!
View attachment 3652772

View attachment 3652752View attachment 3652753

View attachment 3652754View attachment 3652755
View attachment 3652757View attachment 3652758
View attachment 3652759

They are getting so big! 😍

Back
Top Bottom