Chick sitting and gasping

SunnyFLChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Space Coast, FL
Help please! Picked up 4 chicks from TS on Saturday. There was some pasty butt. Brought them home and got everyone cleaned up. All went well for a few days. They were all active and eating.

This morning I could hear distressed cheeping from the brooder. The smallest one was sitting on the ground, eyes closed, constantly cheeping. She was poopy - (butt and feet where pretty caked) so I brought her in and cleaned her up. Gave some poultry drench. When I took her back she ate (seemed hungry) and I dipped her beak in the water a few times. Then she walked back to the heat source and joined her buddies.

When I went back for a check and she is still sitting down and now seems reluctant to walk.

Follow up check - she was lying on her side. Brought her in and gave a yolk and honey mix with some water to hydrate.

she did poop - looked normal.
After the feed she had some bubbles come out her beak. But she did walk around a bit. Gate seems normal.
Currently resting - but opening her mouth from time to time.

The other three seem fine and are behaving normally.
20210421_084040.jpg

Get some Poultry NutriDrench right away and give her a couple of drops orally. Before and after that, dip her beak into water. Try to get her to take a little egg yolk. The pasty butt is a sign of shipping stress, and once they appear to be struggling it can be late to save them. Clean off her bottom with a little warm soapy water to get the vent open, and check her daily for the first week of life. Good luck.

Get some Poultry NutriDrench right away and give her a couple of drops orally. Before and after that, dip her beak into water. Try to get her to take a little egg yolk. The pasty butt is a sign of shipping stress, and once they appear to be struggling it can be late to save them. Clean off her bottom with a little warm soapy water to get the vent open, and check her daily for the first week of life. Good luck.
Thank you for replying. As stated - I did administer nutridrench and got 2 cc of egg yolk into her. I also cleaned up the pasty butt.

Is this still shipping distress 3 days in? After eating and behaving normally up until today?

So sorry. Usually when they get down like that they don't live very long.

Back
Top Bottom