chick sneezing, runny "nose"

Aun <HIS><

Songster
12 Years
Jun 28, 2007
New Hampshire
I bought this silkie chick at a day old from a woman who hatched eggs that she ordered from someone on the internet. The chick (Tonto) came on the first day sneezing and a few days later had discharge fly out of the nares when he sneezed. He's 5 weeks old now, and continues to sneeze and have the discharge. He eats fine, drinks fine, poo is normal, good energy. Temp in the brooder isn't very stable, but stays around 72. Should I do anything for him?

Thank you so much for any help!

Aundrea

Vit A might help... Do you have POLYVISOL? (this is a childrens liquid A-B-D liquid vitamin) >give your chickie three drops in beak once a day for a week then taper off...

Thank you so much for your replies, this has been driving me crazy for 5 weeks now.

They started out on shavings covered with paper towels, and now they're on plain shavings. I haven't even put any DE or anything else down. I'm embarrased to admit that my two little silkies sleep on my chest every night (diapered), and there isn't any difference between night and day with his sneezing.

Now about them sleeping with me, in my defense, they cry their heads off everytime I leave the room, and at night, they cry and cry so loud until I get them. It's just so so sad, I just don't have the heart to leave them alone crying, and thankfully, neither does my husband.
love.gif
So, we have a little brooder by the bed, and when neither of us wants to hold them anymore, we put them in and keep saying, "I'm right here..." over and over when they cry until they believe we aren't gone and they go to sleep. Spoiled, spoiled, spoiled.
idunno.gif

I'll try the Polyvisol, I don't have any, but I'll pick some up. I so hope that helps!

I'll let you know how it goes, and if anyone else has any other ideas, I'd love to hear.

You might also want to think abouty the humidity...if it is very dry this can cause sneezing and irritate the mucous membranes... hanging a wet towel in the area they are in if you do not have a humidifier might help if the humidity is under 70%

I'm not sure what the humidity is, but I suppose it may be on the dry side. I'll try increasing the humidity, thanks that's a good idea. I think I'll move the brooder also, I think there may be a draft which could probably contribute.

I use pine shavings from a regular barn store bale...no cedar with the bad oils. Poor little guy, he is so sweet and sneezing all over the place. Thanks to all of you for the ideas, I'll let you know how he's doing in a week or so.

this thread has been helpful for me. I have a few birds that are sneezing a lot and have runny noses (clear mucus), taking humidity and temperature into consideration it makes sense. This is the dry season, and also the cold season. It rains very little and drops down to about 60 at night. It can be pretty windy too. The earth is pretty dry and dusty.

Back
Top Bottom