chick starter and wild birds

jhart8285

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 31, 2010
New Concord, west ky
Will medicated chick starter hurt wild birds if they eat it they seem to love it and congrigate around feeding area? Also, and in no way related to previous question. My cat caught and injured A female cardinal any Ideas? I am currently treating as I would an injured chicken. Quiet, warm, dark place and neo on wounds. Cannot take anywhere until monday at soonest.

Last edited:
Isn't it supposed to stop diarhea? idk I'd try to limit how much they eat. if for no other reason than that it's expensive! I would pick up what the chicks don't eat if I were you also might attract rats. Why do you use the medicated starter? We have never used that, we always use the non-medicated stuff and it's impossible to keep all the adult chickens and peacocks out of it! You are treating the baby bird the same way I would. I would get it to a wildlife rescue center as soon as you can though as baby birds are difficult to rehab. Good luck.

Thanks for info. cardinal is an adult and there are no wildlife rehabilitation clinics any where near hear. I live 20 miles from middle of nowhere, and nothing is open on the weekend. I already tried calling lbl and did'nt get an answer. also every thing I have read on the internet says they will just put it down and I think it deserves a chance. I feed medicated chick starter because around here it is all you can get in anything less than a 50lb bag. I have the chicks in a separate pen from adults so the only adults that can get at the starter is the momma hens in with the chicks and there are only 12 of them..

That's too bad about the cardinal, but I agree that you did the best you could. I also agree that it's best to keep the wild ones away from the chickens just in case. There might even be the possibility of a wild bird getting on a chicken's' nerves somehow and being attacked; most of them are tiny compared with a chicken so it wouldn't be pretty. Last, but not least, being on antibiotics they don't need could affect the probiotics in the wild birds' digestive systems and make them vulnerable to other illnesses. I love feeding the birds, though, so please don't take this as a criticism! I just try to keep them separate from any of my own flock.
Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom