Chick with bad balance

The Laird

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Kendall, NY
One of my chicks, an australorp pullet, not quite 3 weeks old, is showing some strange behaviour. In the last couple of days, I have noticed her sitting/squatting/crouching so that her lower legs are touching the litter, then she'll rock back on her knees(?). Sometimes she'll catch herself, and other times she'll fall over, usually to the right. I picked her up, and her rear is clean as a whistle. She will scurry around with the rest of the chicks when I come to feed them (they tend to run away). Her appearance seems fine, maybe just a wee tad scruffy/rumpled. I guess I should spend more time with them to see what her eating habits are. Does anybody have any ideas what might be causing this, and if it is critical?

Hi there, I'm no expert but maybe seperate it & give the little one some vitiamin& electrolyte water. Or a few drops of infant vitiamins.Check to see how much it's eating/drinking & pooping.
Maybe some one else can give somemore input.
Hope little one gets better.
smile.png

Miriam

I'm starting to think the poor girl is spraddle legged. Odd, I thought that happened very early, but I really didn't notice it until a day or two ago. They were on newspaper for 2 or 3 days over wood shavings, and have been on wood shavings since. I checked some other postings for spraddle legs and someone had posted a site called poultry help that has some good info. Basically, you hobble the little bugger to keep its legs underneath it instead of going out to the side. Hmmm, I might need help on this one. Holding a chick and trying to ty a string at the same time. Boy, there are times that I could use a third arm!

Back
Top Bottom