Chick with bung leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farming life, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Farming life

Farming life New Egg

Jun 15, 2017
    this is our first time we have little chicks. Unfornately was born with a bung leg. I'm not too sure what it is, maybe someone is able to tell me, and hopefully there is a way to make her better. She seems to be coping ok with one leg, he is now 4 weeks old. Although prefers to stay in a corner, tends to struggle with the other chicks stepping on his bung leg . Hope you can help in some way. I have attached some photos.

Attached Files:

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The chick may be dealing with a leg bone deformity such as a slipped tendon, varus valgus deformity, or tibial dyschondroplasia (TD.) With a slipped tendon, they can develop soreson the outside of the hock joint. The hock tendons sometimes rupture with growth, and make the leg useless. Usually people try splinting, but there unfortunately is not a lot else that can be done. Chick vitamins are usually tried in the water, and the earlier treatment is done, there may be a better chance.

AlleysChicks and Farming life like this.
  3. Farming life

Farming life New Egg

Jun 15, 2017
    Thank you for your reply. I don't think she is too well. Her other leg seems to have a toe deformed also. I feel quite sad about it, but it might be best to let her rest

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    :hugs I am sorry you are having to deal with such an issue.
    I do agree with letting her rest though. The hard part of chicken keeping is that part.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by