Chick with crop full of air?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Highlander, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I have a 7 week old Orpington bantam chick with a huge crop. I noticed it a few days ago but just thought she was being a little piggy. I picked her up last night however and felt her crop and it feels like an inflated balloon, totally full of air. Checked her again first thing this morning and it is the same as last night. I saw her eat last night and she is not lethargic. They are on pine shavings and eating regular chick crumbs, no treats or extras.

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

Thanks

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Thistle, are you sure that it's air? Since you are feeding crumbles the crop would feel rather squishy. Does her breath smell sour? Try inverting her and massage the crop towards the beak. She may have an impacted crop. If so food should come out. Clear throat immediately as it may obstruct breathing. Feed small pieces of bread soaked with olive oil.

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    It feels completely inflated from top to bottom. I don't feel any grains of feed in there. It's not squishy as such and there is no smell. It's just exactly like pressing an inflated balloon.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Maybe you'd better attach a string to one leg so it doesn't float off.

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    lol. I was afraid I was going to go down there and see she had exploded.

You were right as always though, it's sour crop. I massaged out as much as I could, she doesn't look too good now though. She didn't seem interested in the bread and oil but I have left it down there and hopefully she will take some. Thanks. [​IMG]

6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Possible it is the air sacks that are full of air too. I had one chick with this this fall and had to do emergency work to save it as it was running into breathing troubles due to the degree of swelling which extended right up to it's head.

Look up subcutaneous emphysema. The air can be drained off with a large hypodermic needle taking care not to hit any blood vessels. I did not have time to find one so use a razor knife.

Not 100% sure of the cause, this can be from injury rupturing the air sacks or possibly some repritory infections in the air sacks can cause it. In the case of my chick I suspected it just got trampled but did put it on a run of antibiotics just as a precaution as it was showing some respritory distress and it made a full recover over a few days.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by