Chick with crop full of air?

Highlander

Tartan Terror
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Prague
I have a 7 week old Orpington bantam chick with a huge crop. I noticed it a few days ago but just thought she was being a little piggy. I picked her up last night however and felt her crop and it feels like an inflated balloon, totally full of air. Checked her again first thing this morning and it is the same as last night. I saw her eat last night and she is not lethargic. They are on pine shavings and eating regular chick crumbs, no treats or extras.

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Thistle, are you sure that it's air? Since you are feeding crumbles the crop would feel rather squishy. Does her breath smell sour? Try inverting her and massage the crop towards the beak. She may have an impacted crop. If so food should come out. Clear throat immediately as it may obstruct breathing. Feed small pieces of bread soaked with olive oil.

It feels completely inflated from top to bottom. I don't feel any grains of feed in there. It's not squishy as such and there is no smell. It's just exactly like pressing an inflated balloon.

lol. I was afraid I was going to go down there and see she had exploded.

You were right as always though, it's sour crop. I massaged out as much as I could, she doesn't look too good now though. She didn't seem interested in the bread and oil but I have left it down there and hopefully she will take some. Thanks.
smile.png

Possible it is the air sacks that are full of air too. I had one chick with this this fall and had to do emergency work to save it as it was running into breathing troubles due to the degree of swelling which extended right up to it's head.

Look up subcutaneous emphysema. The air can be drained off with a large hypodermic needle taking care not to hit any blood vessels. I did not have time to find one so use a razor knife.

Not 100% sure of the cause, this can be from injury rupturing the air sacks or possibly some repritory infections in the air sacks can cause it. In the case of my chick I suspected it just got trampled but did put it on a run of antibiotics just as a precaution as it was showing some respritory distress and it made a full recover over a few days.

Last edited:
lol. I was afraid I was going to go down there and see she had exploded.

You were right as always though, it's sour crop. I massaged out as much as I could, she doesn't look too good now though. She didn't seem interested in the bread and oil but I have left it down there and hopefully she will take some. Thanks.
smile.png
I know this is a very old thread, but did she survive? I have a chick that I believe is experiencing the exact same thing - doesn’t feel like anything is impacted - just feels like air…

I know this is a very old thread, but did she survive? I have a chick that I believe is experiencing the exact same thing - doesn’t feel like anything is impacted - just feels like air…
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos or video?
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Does the chick have a hard time breathing or is it gasping?

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos or video?
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Does the chick have a hard time breathing or is it gasping?
I can try to post a pic in the morning.

The chick doesn’t necessarily seem to have a hard time breathing (could be wrong) - does seem a bit lethargic, or uncoordinated, though. When separated from the others, she becomes much more alert, constantly chirping and trying to jump out of the small box we hold her in temporarily. The crop is just big, and it feels like it’s full of air.

Back
Top Bottom