Chick with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lea5ff, Mar 12, 2015.

1. lea5ff

lea5ff Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Missouri
    Any suggestions for one chick who can't seem to have a solid poop? This has been for the past two days. I got my chicks last Friday from a local store. All of my others are doing fine just this one. They are on a medicated feed with water only. Do I need to introduce anything else into their diet?

2. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    Hows the chick? Ever try plain yogurt, in small doses, or sav-a-chick powders?

3. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    I know this is weird but how does diarrhea look.? One of my chicks poo is like a wormy looking thing that is watery. Is that diarrhea for chickens.?

4. lea5ff

lea5ff Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Missouri
    That chick seems to be doing fine. I've found that most of them get a runny poop here and there. It really is not even close to solid. Like a pool of brown goo.

5. havery

havery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    East Texas
    I had a worry with one of my chicks this morning about an almost foamy, runny poop (I woke up to a dead chick yesterday with no obvious sign of illness so I'm on high alert!). The chicks looked fine, though, and after some interneting I came across this site: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0 (warning: poop! lol). Mine is almost certainly just caecal poop. Basically, it seems like with chicks that if it's not constant, the chick is eating and drinking and acting well, and doesn't have blood in it, it's probably normal.

6. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    the link posted is really an awesome one, it helped me immensely last year when I was starting out and worrying over every little thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by