Melissa Rose

Songster
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
South Texas
Hi
hugs.gif
love.gif

I received some hatchery chicks about three days ago and I just noticed one of them has a huge eye on one side. It does not look like it is infected. There is no pus or drainage. It is just huge compared to the other eye. This is a salmon faverolle pullet. She is eating and drinking and preening. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. It is not shut and does have an eyeball which is very large. Has anyone ever experienced this? Of course I will not breed her but if it doesn't bother her then I see no reason to cull. I did put some antibiotic cream on it to lubricate to see if there was anything maybe stuck under the eyelid that was causing the swelling but it really doesn't look like an abcess just a really large eyeball. Thanks for any input on this situation!
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Goodness!! why would anyone cull a perfectly good chicken? She's just deformed. Some pictures would be great.

I would never cull a chicklet because of imperfections
love.gif
! I might not ever breed them but I would not cull unless it effected the animal painfully some how! I was just wondering if anyone else ever encountered such a thing! I will post some pics later tonight! I have been working on my run and need a few minutes to re-hydrate
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif

So you got yourself a 'popeye' chicken. Just let it be, especially if there is no pain involved and the chick can blink that eye. Look close and see if the pupil responds to light. If so, the eye should supply vision. And as usual make sure the other chicks don't pick on the fella with the deformity. If the vision is affected and chick displays signs of depth perception problem the other chicks will notice and might pick on him or her. Good luck!

Really Good
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
She seems to have vision in it and it doesn't really slow here down at all
love.gif
I'll take some pics later. It is really huge but there isn't any drainage or pus or anything just reallllllly large
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif

I will try to get a good pic today
hugs.gif
love.gif
!!! She is doing really well
hugs.gif
love.gif
I just built a grow out pen for them and she has been enjoying it outside for the past couple of days
love.gif
hugs.gif
She's a spunky little chicklet and loves being outside! It doesn't slow her down at all
hugs.gif
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom